Foreword

What brings you to Wattpad?

Are you a reader, searching for the next addictive read? Or are you a writer, wanting to perfect and share your craft with the world?

If you are the former, there are plenty of reading recommendation stories on the platform to guide your decision. The beauty of Wattpad is that there are millions of stories across–even blurring–various genres to satisfy any need.

But no collection is ever complete. For the latter, there is always room for new stories. Your stories. As Toni Morrison says, "If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." No one can tell your tales and insight like you can. And Wattpad is the perfect medium to share your story with an international audience.

Having a plot is just the beginning. How do you make your story captivating? Which literary techniques should you use to liven up the narrative? Do you even need to use literary techniques? What should you do to combat obstacles such as writer's block? There are lots to consider when trying to write a story.

These can be intimidating issues especially for someone with little to no experience. One method to overcome this is trial and error. Write a few drafts, see what works for your style, and find your best practices. The downsides to this method are that it is timely and may not always yield great results. After all, how are beginners supposed to know best practices when they barely know the basics?

But what about the masters of the craft? Not amateurs, not veterans, but experts. These savvy writers have been acknowledged in their fields with awards and other recognition. Their experience is a gold mine for new writers to glean valuable insight and kickstart their own careers.

In this series of ten interviews, I had the privilege of virtually sitting down with a star-studded cast, featuring a New York Times bestselling author and a Juno Award nominee among other valued guests. They discussed the secrets behind their success and offered advice to aspiring writers. In these next chapters, learn the art of writing for novels and songs and much more. Find inspiration to excel in any medium of your choosing. I look forward to reading your future works.

Note: interview transcripts have been edited for conciseness.

Best,
Brandon