Chapter 12

I walked towards the house the next day and heard Hosea speaking inside, so decided to join him.

"I'm telling you, Dutch, this is the way to do this job," he said, "The distraction will buy you all the time you need!"

Dutch was sat at the table with Hosea standing over him.

"I... don't like it," he said.

"Look, the bank," Hosea continued, nodding acknowledgement at me, "Karen, Tilly, Abigail. I sent them all. They all say the same thing. There's no more than one armed guard. And the police? It's a city, there are police, but as far as we can tell, the patrols will all be going this way when Abigail and I cause the diversion, and that's the opportunity."

I stared down at the map of Saint Denis they were both looking at.

"What do you think, Arthur?" Dutch asked, leaning back.

"I don't see we have a lot of choice," he said, "We linger around here, we know we're dead."

"But the plan?" Dutch said with exasperation.

"We got a decent bunch," Arthur said, "We know how to fight. The city cops don't seem so tough. As long as we move fast. I reckon doing it in the day, with a distraction. If that's what Hosea is saying? It's as good a plan as any."

"I think I agree," Dutch nodded.

"And we do it at night, there's the drama of just getting into the bank," Hosea said, "Can't do that silently. They'll pick us off far easier."

"I know, I'm just making sure," Dutch held up his hands.

"Every plan is a good plan if we execute it properly," Hosea said, "Every problem we had was because we did not execute properly. Even Blackwater, from my understanding."

"You're right," Dutch stood up, "Let's rob this bastard. Everyone get some rest. We ride in the morning. Look smart. Travel light."

Hosea needs to rest

I wrote quickly, causing all three men to frown at me.

His cough. He shouldn't get involved in this. I'll take his job, Micah taught me how to rig explosives so I can go with Abigail and we'll get out quicker than Hosea would.

"No, not happening," Arthur quickly said, frowning at me.

"I appreciate the concern, but I'm fit as a fiddle," Hosea said, annoyance clear in his voice.

All due respect, you're not. We all heard you after yesterday, you need to rest before you get involved in something else

Hosea opened his mouth to argue but started coughing instead, his face showing his clear annoyance as my point was proven, his gasping breaths afterwards showing he certainly was not fit.

"The kid has a point, though I'm not happy with her taking your place," Dutch scratched his chin.

I'll be fine. We rig the explosives and get out before they go off. Nobody will know it was us, they won't catch us, we'll get out and you can rob the bank.

"Arthur?" Dutch looked at him and he slammed his fist down in frustration.

"I don't like it, but I don't see what other choice we've got," he sighed, "If you do this, Eliza, you do not linger. If you hear gunshots from the bank, you don't investigate. You leave with Abigail, no buts. And I'll make sure she knows these are the rules too."

I nodded in agreement, smiling slightly.

"Please be careful, kid," he said quietly, "I can't lose you again."