Chapter 3

Audrey keeps her arm tucked tightly through Craig's for the duration of the funeral, glancing up from the ground every so often to gauge his, or one of his family member's reactions. She watches as they all stoically stare at the coffin, waiting for the priest to finish speaking; they stand awkwardly around as J's neighbour calls across to him, Audrey inching closer to Craig, resting her cheek on his shoulder as she watches the confrontation with wide eyes. She glances away as Smurf asks if anyone else had anything they would like to say, fixing her eyes on the coffin as it gets lowered into the ground. Had she thought she could get through saying a few words without crying, she would have; Audrey had always had a soft spot for the only Cody girl, the one who held her as she cried for her mother after she had passed away, the one who acted like her big sister and helped her pick an outfit for the first date she and Craig had ever gone on. Truthfully, Audrey appreciated everything Julia had done for her, even after moving out, she would always call, or at least text to see how the younger girl was getting on; although they hadn't kept in touch over recent years, they still got on like a house on fire whenever they did meet up, almost as if no time had passed since they had seen each other last.

"Are you ok?" Audrey asks softly as she tucks her hand in Craig's, rubbing her thumb over the back of his hand as they head away from the coffin, and back towards the cars.

"Yeah. Why?" He replies, lifting their hands to his lips, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand.

"With Julia, and J turning up, Pope coming back." She says, turning to face Craig as they reach the pavement. "You don't have to pretend with me."

"I'm fine." Craig reassures her, removing his hand from hers and tucking his arm around her waist instead. "Are you ok?"

"Me?" Audrey replies, glancing up at him, eyes wide in confusion. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Julia was you best friend." Craig says softly, the pair coming to a stop beside the car as Audrey sighs, turning to face him.

"That was a long time ago. I hadn't seen Julia in years!" She protests, reaching up to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, looking down at the ground. "We fell out of touch, really. You know that."

"I know, but-"

"I'm ok." Audrey reassures him, tilting up on her tiptoes to kiss him. "I promise. Let's go get some food, yeah?" Craig nods, opening the door to let Audrey hop into the car ahead of him, climbing in behind her to wait for Deran.

———————————————————————

Audrey glances up from her phone as Baz rounds the corner to the living room, watching as he cuts his eyes to Craig who was sat on the floor beside the coffee table.

"Really man? We're all just hanging out and you've got to go chopping in?" Baz asks as he enters the room.

"Avert your eyes father." Craig grunts as he ducks his head down.

"Why don't you try sleeping once in your life, it's good for you." Baz suggests, giving Audrey a questioning look as she shrugs her shoulders.

"Someone get Baz a drink? Make it a big one." Craig replies, glancing briefly around the room.

"You really want to get mellow right now? Maybe now's not the best time, you know what I mean?" Baz whispers to Deran who also ignores him.

"You want a taste?" Craig asks, turning to look over at Nicky.

"Oh no, she's good man." J replies for Nicky. Audrey casts her eyes to Nicky, watching her look between J and Craig.

"Hey, don't trample on her freedom." Craig snaps, turning his attention to J.