Lukesse [Reminiscence]

[AU: Jesse dies and Lukas can't get her out of his head]

-

I feel a light chill across my back, and suddenly I'm awake.

The moonlight is dimmed over the curtains flowing into the room, but yet still visible. I can make out everything clearly.

I turn to the side. Jesse's in front of the mirror again, holding her elbows in her hands and arms across her chest. She's unmoving, which should signal some sort of alarm, but I'm used to it already.

I shrug off the think blanket and get out of bed. She doesn't make a sound.

"Another one?" I ask lightly, wrapping my arms around her from behind and resting my head on her shoulder. She tenses a bit before relaxing, coming back to her senses.

"I'm fine Lukas. Go back to bed." She chuckles, her cool hands upon mine. "I'll be with you in a second."

"I can wait a second." I murmur, shutting my eyes and embracing her further. Jesse just shakes her head amusingly, and we stay there for a moment in silence.

"Hey," she perks up, her voice is stunningly quiet.

"Yeah?" I open my eyes and stare at her through the mirror with a reassuring smile.

"You ever think about what would've happened...you know, if we made a slip up?

"Like, if one thing went differently...have you ever thought about all the possible outcomes?"

She gets like this at times, I recognize it immediately. It's like she's in a whole new world with her thoughts, and it's dangerous. The way they tend to consume her, eat her up inside like some sort of parasite.

"What's on your mind?" I can't help but ask, her eyes trail away from mine in the mirror, and she falls out of my embrace, sitting down at the foot of the bed.

"I dreamt—" she hesitates for a moment, fists clenching the sheets, "I dreamt that I killed you."

"What?" I don't expect that, that's for sure.

"And I know that it's just a dream, and I know that you're right here in front of me and I can feel you I just—" she lets out a large sigh, "I can't get it out of my head, you know?

"The way it happened...I let Aiden push you into the void, where there was nothing to save you..."

"You had to save the Founder—"

"And in Cassie's mansion, everyone blamed and teamed up against you, eventually convicting you of being the murderer."

"That wasn't your fault."

"I let PAMA get into your head. I let you get crushed during the games."

"And yet I'm still here, alive and well." I try and comfort her with another one of my smiles. She looks at me hopefully, but her expression is a subtle frown.

"You always look on the bright side of things."

"I learned from the best, haven't I?" I take a seat next to her and elbow her playfully. She finally lets out a small chuckle, and there's a small warmth in my chest seeing her like this.

"I really..." a pause, "I really love that about you."

And just like that I can't speak. Something tightens around my throat so I can't get any words out.

"You should wake up now." She smiles at me the best she can, but it stings with sorrow. "You're gonna regret it if you don't."

And then she blurs, and my eyes snap open, my body shuddering as if from the cold.

Bright moonlight through the curtains. A cold chill across my back. Except when I turn around, the bed is empty, Jesse's picture in its frame atop the stand.

The mirror reflects nothing but the darkness of the room, and once again I am left with this overwhelming loneliness.

-

Wrote this a while back,, I'm trying to get back into writing so I'm practicing with these haha, I'm kinda rusty. Anyways hope you enjoyed, I'll see you all later <3