Chapter 6 - A Deal is Made

Just as Emperor Max was about to take a sip of his prenglas juice, the Archbishop burst into the dining hall.

"Your Imperial Majesty," cried Julius Pius. "There is a tied vote in the Matriarchal Conclave. 3 versus 3. Your imperial presence is needed immediately on Divine Island."

Max set down his glass.

A tied vote? That meant he had to be careful who he voted for.

"Who should I vote for?" he asked.

"Both Pecaminosa and Glutton have their strengths and weaknesses. I say vote for whoever you think would make the best leader," answered the Archbishop.

But Max knew better.

He was going to vote for whoever was going to grant him his annulment.

At the far end of the table, Irina cursed silently.

Her second assassination attempt had failed.

How was she going to explain this one to Empress Lilith?

She decided she had to step up her game.

***

Max and Ariel took the imperial griffin Damien to Divine Island.

As soon as they stepped down onto firm ground, a voice spoke.

"Your Imperial Majesty," said Pecaminosa.

She stepped out of the shadows and into the light.

Max recognized her.

"Your Eminence," he said. "Weren't you the person who saved me back in Monstria?"

"The very same," replied the cardinal. "You may remember that you said you owed me a favor. I think it's time I called in that favor."

Max sighed. He knew where this was going.

"So you want my vote so that you'll become the next Matriarch?" he said.

"Exactly."

"What about Glutton? What can she do for me?"

"Nothing. She is highly unpopular and a terrible leader."

Max scanned Pecaminosa's eyes carefully. They seemed sincere enough.

He sighed. "Alright, fine. I ask for only one thing in return. An annulment from my engagement to Princess Sanchia."

"Consider it done," said Pecaminosa. "It'll be the first thing on my to-do list after my coronation."

Max reached out a hand. "I'm glad we have an agreement."

Pecaminosa smiled and then let out a sigh of relief.

Finally, at long last, the Matriarchate was hers.

***

After the Emperor had entered Saint Jebenoah's Basilica and casted his tie-breaking vote, the Camerlengo had sent purple smoke through the chimney.

Dressed completely in the white robes of the Matriarch, wearing a bishop's miter and a holding a shepherd's pastoral staff, Pecaminosa smiled with glee as the cardinals kissed her new matriarchal ring. It was their way of swearing allegiance to the new Supreme Pontiff of the Holy Universal Church.

The Camerlengo then asked her, "By what name will you now be called?"

"I am no longer Cardinal-Bishop Deprivada Pecaminosa," she announced. "I am now Matriarch Catherine III."

"Your Holiness," everyone said.

Catherine loved hearing that new style.

She caught the eye of Cardinal Glutton, who was sulking in her scarlet robes.

Matriarch Catherine smiled.

Everything was alright now.

She was now the leader of the Holy Universal Church.

The Camerlengo then went out to the balcony, where thousands of people were waiting below on the paved Saint Jebenoah's Square.

Raising both arms way up, he shouted, "Habemus Matriarcham!" We have a Matriarch!

Matriarch Catherine III felt butterflies in her stomach as she stepped out onto the balcony and greeted her flock as the next Matriarch of the Supernatural World.

Cheers and screams and applause rang up to her.

As she glanced at the thousands of smiling faces, she felt an immense sense of self-importance and self-gratification. She was now the head of a religion that boasted over one million members. She had a lot of responsibility. Everything fell on her now.

As the crowd quieted, she made the sign of the Ergon. "In the holy names of the Eternal Mother and Father. Amen."

The faithful made the sign of the Ergon as they fell on their knees.

Matriarch Catherine watched with intense satisfaction.

She beamed.

She now commanded the allegiance of everybody. She had absolute power.

Her first official act would be to dismiss certain members of the College of Cardinals and replace them with cardinals that would be loyal to her. She must purge the College of Cardinals of Glutton and her supporters. She must also find out who had voted for Glutton.

Then, she would deal with that heretic John Huffin.

And as for the Emperor's annulment, she didn't care about that.

She wanted to hold out for more power first. Perhaps the Emperor would be willing to give up something more in exchange for the gift of a matriarchal annulment.