prologue

A tear slipped down my cheek as I said goodbye to my best friend. Jess was moving thousands of miles away and we knew it would be hard to maintain our friendship, but it was worth a shot.

"I'm going to miss you so much," she said to me a tear of her own escaping.

"I already miss you and you're still here!" At that she giggled, still crying at the same time.

I can't imagine not having my best friend living right next door to me nevermind 3,248 miles.

"Hey," Jess said softly, taking me away from my thoughts. "Super secret handshake?" She asked, referring to the stupid handshake we made up in grade 3 that somehow stuck.

"Super secret handshake." I confirmed, nodding my head. We both held out our pinkies, crossed and linked them and did some intricate hand movements.

I can't believe we've been friends for that long, from grade 3 to now and somehow 8 years have seemed to fly by.

"Jess! Come on it's time to go or we'll miss our flight," her mother called from the car.

"I almost want to miss my flight, moving to England doesn't sound very great to me." Jess said and I lightly smacked her.

"Of course you don't want to miss your flight! Just think of what's waiting for you in England; hot English boys with hot English accents, cool double-decker buses, ummm what else?" I said trying to cheer my best friend up, because that's what a best friend does.

"Oh Wren, I'm gonna miss you so much." She cut me off and hugged me one last time. "And make sure to call and e-mail every day! We're gonna make this long distance friendship thing work, I promise." She called to me as she was getting in the car.