Bato of the Water Tribe*

"So..." Upon finding Sokka and Aang searching through bushes and grass, Jade watched them curiously. "What are we looking for?"

"Did someone lose something?" Katara asked.

"No, we found something!" Aang replied.

Crouching on the ground, Sokka picked up a small arrow. They watched him inspect the sharp tip. "...It's burned."

His gaze went to a nearby tree trunk. The tree had noticeable scorch and scratch marks on the bark, which Sokka traced with his fingers.

"There was a battle. Water Tribe warriors ambushed a group of firebenders. The firebenders fought back, but the warriors drove them down this hill."

Watching him. Jade blinked. "How do you...know all that?"

"It's all here."

That didn't really answer Jade's question, but he ran off down the hill as if it did. His friends followed him down the dirt trail and over some rocks. The path led them all the way down to the beach.

"So, then what happened?" Aang asked.

"I don't know." Sokka stared out at the ocean. "The trail ends here."

Katara turned. "Wait, look!"

She was pointing to the right. Sitting on the shore was a wooden ship, very different from the Fire Nation ships Jade had seen before. The sails were blue and the boat was much smaller and more rustic.

Sokka lit up. "It's one of our boats!"

Aang and Jade were left to follow them when Sokka and Katara ran up to the boat. Katara watched her brother touch the front of it.

"Is this dad's boat?"

"No, but it's from his fleet." He turned to his sister with a smile. "Dad was here."

~㊌~

They set up camp on the beach to watch the ship that night. Sokka and Katara were determined to stay close to the ship from their dad's fleet; it was the only hope they had of finding out where he currently was.

Jade was so deeply asleep that she had to be shaken awake. It wasn't the first time; she was the heaviest sleeper in their group.

When she sat up, Sokka and Katara were hugging a very tall man. She noticed his Water Tribe attire and the bandages around his arm and torso.

Still rubbing her eyes, Jade squinted. "Is that their dad?"

"No, it's Bato." Aang whispered.

"...Who's Bato?"

He shrugged. When he stood up, Jade followed him up to the others. Both of them bowed. "Hi, I'm Aang. And this is Jade."

Jade was unsuccessful in holding back a yawn. "Hi..."

Sokka and Katara pulled back to look up at Bato. "Where's Dad?"

"Is he here?"

"No, he and the other warriors should be in the Eastern Earth Kingdom by now." Bato replied.

Sokka looked down. When a strong gust of cold wind went by, all but Aang shivered. He never was fazed by any temperature changes; it must have been an airbender thing.

Jade was jealous.

"This is no place for a reunion." Bato led Sokka and Katara away from the beach by their shoulders. "Let's get inside."

~㊌~

Following Bato through the forest, they let him take them to an abbey about ten minutes away from the beach. The courtyard was surrounded by a stone wall on all sides. As soon as they were close enough, Jade caught a strong, pleasant flowery scent. She decided she would enjoy staying the night here.