Looking for a Road

Cole's POV

The man with the accent walks closer towards us, I sit on the edge of my seat just in case I have to do something. He looks at me first and stares me down with peircing eyes. Kara may not be admitting it to herself but she is a little scared, I would know because I can feel it. She tries not to be scared, and I try to be strong for her but I've learned you can't really hold back the way you feel. The man and Miss Trina walk into her office but don't shut the door. She hands him a few papers, sets them back on her desk after looking at them, then they shake hands. The man turns his head and looks at me and Kara, I don't have a good feeling about him.

 He walks out of Miss Trina's office and stands across from us. If he thinks he is going to take us away, he has it all wrong, we're getting out of here, one way or another.

 "Alright kids, come with me, and don't even think about running." His voice is deep, and he looks strong but he is probably slower as well, if I have to take him, I can be faster than him. I stand up first, and Kara stands up slower, she isn't sure about this but I think I have a plan. He opens the door and walks out, and Kara and I follow him but I try and stay back a little bit.

"Kara, this is when we run, when I say, follow me." I whisper to her, she looks at me, she just got a little worried but not scared, we have escaped places plenty of times before. The man leads us out to an old looking car, black but more old fashion. He opens the door and tells us to get in, this is it. I back up slowly and point across the man to get him to look away, and when he barely turns his head the other way.

"Kara, run." I whisper to her and we start sprinting away from the car and the man. I head for the forest, we are just outside Idaho, and there is forest everywhere. It is the perfect place to hide, until we can get to another town or city. Kara and I are sixteen, and we could probably pass as eighteen year olds so we don't get took to another orphanage but that doesn't mean we will ever be safe.

I feel a sudden stinging pain in my knees and hands, I look back at Kara, she fell. I run back to her and help her up, there is really no point in asking her if she is ok, because I can feel everything she is feeling. I stop and look back, no one is in view, we can slow down now.

"Sorry I fell." She apologizes every time she gets hurt, it hurts her to know that it hurts me, I tell her she doesn't have to apologize but she can't help it.

"It's alright." I can't tell how far we ran, we went into the forest but we can't stay here for long, we need to find a town or city. "If we start walking that way, we can probably get to a road." I point to my right and Kara nods, she trusts my judgment, maybe more than she should. She is a lot stronger and smarter than she gives herself credit for.  A while back, not to long ago, she had to be really strong, I still feel bad for her...I got hurt, I still think it hurt her more than it hurt me. Its weird though, are connection, it seems to keep getting stronger, like last year, we couldn't feeling all emotions from eachother, now we can. And it was about two years ago that if one of us got wounded, it actually showed up on the other. Before that we could only feel the pain, like when Kara's ankle got cut, it didn't show up on me, I could only feel it. I wonder if there is more, and in time it will get even stronger, but I don't know what else could happen. 

"We better get going then." Kara looks at me wondering what I was thinking about. Maybe that is one thing that we might get, reading eachother mind's. 

"Yeah." I start walking ahead, the ground is covered in leaves and pine needles from the trees. Its not quite dark yet, the sun is still warm, but it will get colder. In the Fall it seems to always be cold, but its warmer today. I don't know what day it is, it was hard to find out in the orphanage. I hated it there, I'm glad we're out, but it isn't going to get any easier. Its hard to tell what will happen from here. The two years we were out on our own, it seemed like days would never end. We saw many places, we traveled all around the states. Sometimes it seemed like we wouldn't survive though, but we got through it, and it made us stronger, like I told Kara: "We can get through anything." And we can, and we will make it through everything that is thrown at us. 

"Where do you think we'll go?" Kara asks me and I look at her.

"I don't know, I guess we will see when we get there." She doesn't like it when I say stuff like that, but I don't have an answer. 

"Maybe we can find Jack" Jack helped us a lot, he was probably one of the only friends we have ever had. 

"Yeah, maybe." He also lives in California, he had foster parents last time we saw him, he was also sixteen, and that was a year ago. Who knows where he could be now.

We walk past several broken down houses with only broken boards left, we should be getting to a road soon. The scrapes that Kara got are still hurting, if we find water we need to clean it so it doesn't get infected. Something is making Kara sad, and wonder.

"What is it?" I ask her and she shrugs, I don't want to push her, she might tell me eventully. I look ahead, there are trees all around us, but less now. We are in Idaho, but I don't know where exactly. 

"Hello, are you two lost?" An old looking man with gray hair and a cane walks up from behind us making Kara jump. 

"No, we are fine, thank you." I might  be being a little rude, but we trust anyone. We never found out who than man was that tried to take us and where or why he was taking us. 

"Are you sure? You look lost to me." I take Kara's arm and start walking away from him, I really don't want to deal with this. 

"Ok, I am sorry children, but in my book, this looks like you are running away." The man follows us, trying to get us to stop and talk to him. I turn around and face him.

"Look, me and my sister are just looking for a road, so if you wan't to help us, maybe you could tell us where the closest one is." He nods slowly.

"That wasn't so hard was it? You should never be afraid to ask for help." I roll my eyes, he has no idea. " The is a road just a mile from here in that direction." He points to to the left, we have been going in the wrong direction.

"If your lying to us-" I start but Kara inturrupts.

"What my brother is trying to say, is thank you for your help." He nods and smiles at Kara.

"Thank you for your kindness." He turns and walks away, hunched over his cane. We start walking in the direction he pointed to.

"Cole, what could that old man do? He was just trying to help." 

"You know that people can appear differently than who they actually are." She nods, she knows better than anyone, she had a good friend two years ago but she should've never been trusted, she almost turned Kara and I into the governemt with footage of our connection. It really hurt Kara, but it was another thing that made her even stronger. The government would probably take us and try to find out why we are like we are. Its something I can't let happen, who knows what they would actually do, not something good though. 

We get to a road, it isn't paved anf there probably won't be many passing cars, but we just have to keep walking until we get to a town. Its getting darker so we will probably have to stay in the woods tonight. But that isn't something we are unfamiliar with. We start walking in the direction we were before, away from the orphanage.