A Reunion and a Battle

Approximately Three Years Later

Riley POV

Man I felt like shit. 

"I wonder why Riley…"

"Don't get sassy with me old man!"

At this point I didn't care that people were staring at me when I talked to the ancient wizard in my head. It had been a long two months. 

"You haven't slept in a week. You've been poisoned, you've been beaten by a Cerberus, and you've still got a certain pep in your step. Why?"

"You are in my head you old perv. You should know why."

"I told you a long time ago. Only what you say to me is available to me."

"I still think you're messing with me Merlin. I say you can see everything."

"Well I can't. So tell me kiddo, what has you all chipper?"

I smiled. Then I noticed that people were staring at me. I groaned and then started answering Merlin in my head. After I shifted my pack on my back, I continued down the road toward the Guildhall. 

"Erza's coming back today. I think I may be ready to let Mira do her thing."

"So that's what the strawberry cake is for. Well I wish you well, but please you idiot, get healed first!"

I groaned. 

"Fine, fine."

Merlin went quiet as I walked up to the guildhall. I held the cake in my left hand and pushed open the door with my right. As my eyes adjusted to the darker interior of the guildhall, I immediately noticed something. It was unusually quiet. Not eerily so, but I could tell that a couple of people were missing. Looking around, I didn't see either Natsu or Gray, so I sighed. So much for a rowdy reunion. Then, I realized Erza wasn't here yet either. Frowning, I walked over to the bar. 

"Well lookie here, the Cutie's back!"

I chuckled and looked to my left. 

"Good to see you too Cana. How's it going?"

She took a sip of her drink.

"Pretty good, just got back from a job and I have enough money to drink for a week straight!"

I laughed and shook my head.

"I like this one. You sure you won't try and get closer to her Riley?"

I turned and gnashed my teeth.

"Old Man, I swear. If you keep trying to get me with that drunk, I will find a way to materialize you and then I'll strangle you to death!"

He laughed and I turned back to the bar as Mira tried to sneak past me. Scowling and raising an eyebrow, I called out to her.

"Mira...aren't you going to say hi to me?"

She turned to me guiltily. 

"Heyyyyyy Riley. Welcome back!"

Then Cana turned and looked at me really closely.

"You know, you look like shit Riley."

Giving her the stink eye, I answered sarcastically.

"Thanks Cana, I appreciate the compliment."

Then I turned back to Mira.

"And you! What's going on? Why are you acting so skittish?"

She said nothing so I sighed.