Chapter 10

"Hey Kyoya, what do you think of them getting together?"

Kyoya glanced towards the blurred image of Kaoru sitting in the white recliner across the table as he rubbed his head with a beige towel. "Hm? Are you referring to Tamaki and Haruhi?"

Kaoru nodded excitedly.

Kyoya lifted a finger to his chin in contemplation. "I'm not...opposed with this new development, but it will change the dynamic within the club. It certainly doesn't help that this will be a rough time for Hikaru."

"True," Kaoru said, "he really isn't taking it well."

More silence ensued and Kyoya figured that Hikaru's words must have struck deep as it seemed unusual for Kaoru to go quiet so often. A part of him wanted to throttle Hikaru for being so inconsiderate and selfish, but why would he care about what happens between the twins when it has no benefit for his involvement? Kyoya shook his thoughts away as he pulled the towel off  his head and ruffled his hair a bit before he returned his sleek glasses to their usual place upon the bridge of his nose. The blurry image of Kaoru immediately sharpened with him staring downwards at his hands that were locked together by his fingers and Kyoya's gaze stuck to Kaoru until their eyes locked together. Their staring contest lasted for about a minute until Kyoya moved his gaze to the floor. He attempted to push the rising emotions  into the deepest pits of his soul, never to arise again, but it was a weak attempt and he could still feel Kaoru's gaze burn into the side of his head like a laser. Kyoya tried to brush it off as he adjusted his posture to his usual stoic demeanor and pushed up his glasses. 

This isn't like me. Why am I suddenly acting like a little girl? I just need to calm down and remind myself of my resolve. He thought as he steadied his breathing.

Kaoru cocked his head to the side and raised an eyebrow. "Are you okay, Kyoya-senpai? Is there something bothering you?"

"No...not really."

Kaoru nodded slowly and paused before he asked, "Do you like men?"

Kyoya almost choked on saliva as he whipped his head to face the cocky grin staring back at him with an alarmed expression; his eyebrows raised and his lips slightly ajar. Thoughts raced through his mind if he had accidentally revealed his feelings at any point, but there wasn't a particular moment he could remember. He assumed he had been acting his usual self. He quickly fake coughed into his hand and gave Kaoru a skeptical stare.

"What makes you ask such a question?"

Kaoru laughed lightly. "I'm just curious. You know, since we're getting to know each other more outside of club hours now. I realized recently that I don't really know you very well and I'd like to change that if you feel comfortable."

Kyoya's mouth felt like a desert storm passed through as the words entered his ears, but the swirling confusion within his mind remained as it seemed rather unlikely for someone like Kaoru to request further interaction with an Ootori. He thought for sure that his prickly, unemotional facade deterred anyone from pursuing closer relations than a mere acquaintanceship with him. On the other hand, he had to admit that it was a lonely path to take in his quest to surpass his brothers to be at his father's side all by himself. He thought he had accepted that fact, but a part of him still craved some form of closeness with another person. Kyoya opened his mouth to respond, but hesitated and sighed heavily.

"You really are something, Koaru," he said, "always having a good time without a care in the world."

"I wouldn't go that far, Senpai. I have my own worries, but maybe not as extreme as some others have it." Kaoru shrugged as he dipped his head. "I can't even begin to understand what it must be like to constantly be compared to your siblings, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying your life as it is now. But that's just my opinion."

A smirk appeared on Kyoya's face as he pushed up his glasses. "That's an interesting notion . . . in it's own way."

The room fell silent once again, but was quickly interrupted by the loud ringtone of Koaru's cellphone. He glanced at the screen and immediately lifted his head to give Kyoya a panicked stare.

"It's Hikaru."

Kyoya raised an eyebrow. "Okay, why are you hesitating?"

"I forgot to tell him where I went! He must be so pissed!"

"I'm sure he's fine."

Kyoya stood up and returned to his bedroom. He stared at his reflection in the mirror that was attached to his dresser as he wondered if Kaoru had a point; it wasn't like he was wasting his time trying to impress his father since it was fun for him to look after the Host Club's administrative activities, but maybe that wasn't everything that could make him happy. It's an interesting notion in it's own way. Kyoya grabbed a pale blue button-up shirt from the disorderly drawer that his sister refused to leave alone whenever she visited and swiftly buttoned it up as he stepped back into the living room. A wide smile adorned Kaoru's face as he slipped his phone back into his pant pocket.

"Thanks Kyoya-senpai! I really appreciate everything you've done for me!"

Kyoya smirked. "What for? I haven't done anything out of the ordinary for a friend."

Kaoru stood up and bowed slightly. "Thanks for letting me stay over for the night. I should get going. Apparently, Mother needs me to help with a photo shoot. We should hang out sometime soon!"

Kyoya nodded as he walked Kaoru to the front door of the mansion and waved him goodbye as he watched Kaoru hop into the awaiting limousine. Once he was sure that Kaoru couldn't see him, Kyoya allowed a blush to take over his face. He decided it was time and, like his studies, he wouldn't fail.