Collateral Damage

Reyhan wished to stop time. Days turned into months, and months into a year, all through which  her closest friend remained blind to her heart. Reyhan couldn't tune the voice of the old seer out of her head. Was she really not meant for love?

However, Reyhan was brave. She knew grief, (it was an old friend after all), and living superficially was a forte. The only time she felt alive and full of color was when she was near Alec.

For Alec things were the way they had always been. Success after struggle, creating art with his music, having people who adored him, whether those were his fans or friends and family. He was on cloud 9, there wasn't much he wished for. For him, life was a puzzle, and Reyhan was just a piece of it.

To Reyhan, Alec was unfortunately life.

To put it simply, Reyhan was ashamed of what she had reduced to. A shell of a girl, so fake, that needed a man to feel something.

However, every time she willed herself to leave and to find herself. She couldn't. She simply couldn't be away from him, even if it was for herself.

But she should've known. Secrets don't stay hidden long.

The truth will prevail.

///

Alec had texted her minutes before. Now she stood in her kitchen, hating the fact that she was so happy. He had said he wanted to come over, and she had said he could.

His knocks fell upon her door moments later, and she quickly opened the door. Her heart fell. He was completely drunk. She could tell in his eyes as she stared up into them. She knew him enough to tell he was drunk when he showed no physical signs of it.

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you not going to say hello?"

She kept her hard gaze on him, staying put in the entryway of her home. "You didn't tell me you were drinking." Her voice was strange. She was treating him like a stranger. That didn't sit well with him.

This time he rolled his eyes, pushing past her into her living room. "You never asked."

"Alec I don't think it's-"

"Shh, I need to get something off my chest. Please just listen. I need someone to listen."

His eyes were pleading her, and she was weak. She caved in, abandoning her principles when it came to alcohol, and drew nearer. She sat herself by his side as he spoke of his troubles with his newest song and of how he felt so stuck ever since he wrote his previous hit. He voiced to her of his concerns that he wouldn't be able to make another hit song after Let Me Down Slowly. And when he looked up from his lap he saw her face.

Something hit him then. Maybe it was the alcohol, or maybe it was how perfectly the little beauty marks on her face aligned with one another. It could've been her hair, it smelled so good to him and he had always  wanted to touch it. 

So he did. He reached towards her and grabbed a curl, twisting it around his finger. He could hear her breath hitch as he moved closer. Her eyes were shut as he sat in such close proximity to her. His drunk brain was proud of his affect on her. Then, with a sudden movement, he took her lips in his and marveled at the taste. 

Reyhan felt like time had indeed stopped. She was frozen as his lips moved against hers and when his other hand came up to cup her face she gave in and melted into his kiss. Alec smiled when he felt his movements being reciprocated. She smelled of something sweet, he just couldn't place it. He slipped his tongue into her mouth and reveled in the small moan she let out as his hand ghosted her clothed body.

He could feel something wet against his face and he realized with a start that it was a tear. She drew from him suddenly, and he was left cold, deprived of her warmth.

Her lips were bruised as she whispered brokenly. "I think you need to sleep this off."

Alec got up grabbing her hands. "What I need is you."

At that she smiled bitterly, "Right now you do, but tomorrow you won't. I won't let alcohol take something away from me again, Alec."

She retreated into her room and locked the door. She willed herself to hear the door open and close, announcing his departure, but it never did. 

Meanwhile, Alec fell asleep on the couch. He did indeed need to sleep his his current condition away. Reyhan was just collateral damage.