Chapter 5

Hey guys, if you're liking this story so far drop a comment or a like :)

.
.
.

There was something that was just so peaceful about this empty stadium that just put my mind at ease. Don't get me wrong, I love the large crowds of screaming Phillies fans but sometimes I'd rather listen to my own thoughts versus everyone else's.

The sky was pitch black with not a cloud in sight. If it weren't for the bright stadium lights you could probably see a bunch of stars here because it's far enough away from the ambiance of Center City Philly.

The late June air dropped to a comfortable seventy five degrees but every now and again a breeze would blow making me shiver. Elijah would tell me to "suck it up" and that it's "hot out mommy!" The thought of my son made me smile he's such a boy but he sure as hell got his attitude from me.

Let's hope to god that he didn't inherit any of his fathers issues and baggage. That man is awful. He is a terrible human being and I'm so fucking thankful that I got me an Elijah out when I did. My son was around one year of age when I packed our bags and just left. I didn't tell his father where we were going for fear of him finding us. His lifestyle and extracurricular activities were NOT something I wanted my son to be raised around.

I was born and raised in Philly and then after I graduated high school I went to Camden in hopes of finding cheap housing that would get me out of my broken one. In Camden I found a giant city filled with homeless people and drug users but the rent was cheap. This is also where I found Elijahs dad, Marco Garcia. I was a starstruck child the moment I met him. Of course, he was handsome, charming and older than me with more money than I ever imagined and instantly I was under his spell.

After only knowing his father for around three months or so, I found myself seventeen and pregnant.

I was terrified.

That terror only intensified after I found out who Marco really was. Finally after putting up with his abuse and bullshit for Elijahs first year I fled back to Philly. I never mentioned that I ever had ties to this city so I knew he wouldn't know to look for us there first.

I was a single eighteen year old mother trying to take care of him but it was hard. We bounced around different women's shelters before I finally secured a job and was abled to get a decent apartment. Then when I was twenty one I was accepted into Moore. It took so many odd jobs just to make ends meet but I did it and my son is happy and healthy.

Here I am now working for a Major League Baseball team and about to have a degree... Finally for once in my life things were looking up and I was damn proud of myself.

"Alana! Hey are you okay?"

My head snapped back to face J.T. who had concern written all over his face. His blue eyes was burning right through me. We were both sitting next to each other taking a fifteen minute break to finish drinking our coffee.

"Sorry, I'm fine. I was just...." I paused not knowing what I should say, "Thinking about things. Sometimes I let my mind wander and I don't pay attention to anything else."

He downed the rest of his coffee and ran a hand over his short cropped hair, "What were you thinking about?" He asked.

The breath got hitched in my throat, "Oh just about my accomplishments."

J.T. and I have only known each other since March but it was like he'd known me for years when he said, "Why do I feel like that's not all you were thinking about? I can see you're worried about something."

I avoid looking into his eyes for fear of him seeing right through me, "I was just thinking about Elijahs dad." I diverted my gaze focusing out into the outfield looking at the green shrubs by the pitching bullpens.