04 - Teiko

"WHAT THE HECK", ICHIRO says as he stares at the two blue-haired boys currently in a compromising position on the gym floor. "I will never ever be able to unsee this ever again. I hope you know this, Daiki."

(Ichiro thinks he may have not been sleeping enough and is now having hallucinations.)

"That's not what you think, Ichiro!" Aomine is quick to protest, with his friend nodding along.

"Then what the heck, Daiki, is that?" Ichiro vaguely gestures at them, and it's the cue for the two to immediately burst away from each other.

"Aomine-kun and I were simply practicing basketball when I tripped and sent Aomine falling on me." the unknown light-blue haired boy calmly explains amidst Aomine's wild sputtering.

"Ah." Ichiro finally says. "I see. And who are you?" he asks curiously, not remembering the low presence boy.

"Kuroko Tetsuya. I am part of the third string. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too. I'm Shirosaki Ichiro, first string."

"Heh, Ichiro!" Aomine recovers, "Kuroko here really loves basketball! It's really inspiring how much he practices here! So I've been coming for the past few days to practice here with him."

Ichiro has noticed that Kuroko really doesn't have the right body to get good at basketball. No matter how hard he practices, his muscles will not shape in the way needed for the sport. It's quite sad, to be honest, especially since he can see Kuroko's determination in his clear blue eyes.

(He also feels very ashamed of himself for even thinking for a second that what Kuroko is doing is a waste of time. Basketball, when you love it, is never a waste of time.)

"So you've been coming here to practice every night, Daiki?"

"Well, yeah" Aomine grins. "I'm also helping Kuroko getting better."

"Do you think you have a place for one more person?" Ichiro smiles.

( He isn't very sure why he suddenly decided to help Kuroko all of a sudden, but he trusts his gut more than he does his head in moments like this. )

It's July, and the qualifiers for the Nationals are starting. All six of them (including Haizaki) have made the team, and they participate in their first official match against Johei in the first round. It's an easy enough win, and Teiko continues steadily forward in the qualifiers, not encountering noticeable competition.

"So" Kuroko comments after the three of them are done practicing on Thursday night. "You are both leaving for training camp on Saturday."

"Yosh!" Aomine cheers, "It's gonna be awesome! Don't worry though, Kuroko, we'll be back in two weeks."

"Where will you all be staying?"

"I don't know the exact name of the place, but Nijimura said we were having a beach training camp." Ichiro answers, wiping his sweat off with a towel.

"Ahh" Kuroko pouts, "And here I was, thinking we could hang out together for this break, but it turns out you are both leaving me."

"I'm sorry Kuroko." Aomine exclaims, apparently taking the boy's words to heart. "I didn't mean to! Nijimura and Coach said we should up the training before the Nationals begin and they say it's mandatory and I didn't think!"

"Come on Daiki," Ichiro sighs, whacking the navy head slightly on the head. "Isn't it obvious that Kuroko was teasing us?"

"He was?"