Chapter 7

‘I am not quitting,’ I said for the millionth-and-one time. Ava had slammed the door already, saying she needs to cool off. Georgia had followed her as she felt – not being an angel – she was not much help. ‘Look, you guys are going to have to trust me. I know what I am doing.’

‘Hugh,’ Ace got my attention, ‘I know that you’re like a secret agent or something but emotions can get in the way of this.’

Ryvre opened her mouth before I could respond. ‘I think what we’re trying to say is that we’re all just worried about you and anyone – not just you – would do the craziest things to try to protect the ones we love. But the craziest things aren’t always necessarily the best ways. We want you to talk to us because we think that if you spend so much time around Ava and the others that you may become...’ She trailed off, not needing to explain. I got her message loud and clear.

‘That I will become like them,’ I snapped at her, ‘what’s wrong with being like them? I love Ava and I will do anything for her even if it is something crazy and dangerous-’

Ryvre tried to interrupt me, ‘But-’

‘No, shut up,’ I growled at her. ‘There’s nothing wrong with being like Ava. Like Ace says, I am the secret agent in this family – you, you’re not even family. You’re just a wannabe writer; what good is that to the world? Why don’t you just stay out of this? No wonder Scotia and Seth were off with you, you don’t give people a chance! Even mummy and daddy let you go – they could have done more – found you sooner – if they really wanted you.’

‘Hugh,’ dad bellowed, ‘that is enough.

Breathing heavily, it just registered in my brain what I had said. I forced myself to look at Ryvre.

She stood up with tears in her eyes. ‘Right,’ she looked at me, her lips were pressed together in an attempt to not break down crying, ‘you’re right, Hugh. I’m not family; I am just a wannabe writer and that may not help the world, but I guess it helps me distract myself from being “let go” – as you put it. I think I’ll go find someone that really wants me.’ Holding her head up high, she walked out of the room and the door closed heavily behind her.

‘Hugh,’ mum stared at me, frozen in shock, ‘how could you? How could you say something like that? How can you even think of things like that?’

‘I-I’m sorry,’ I said, shocked and ashamed of myself, ‘I don’t know what came over me or where it came from.’

‘It’s not us you should be apologising to,’ Taran glared at me. ‘You really hurt Ryvre and she will believe every word you’ve said.’

‘I am going to see if the cooks need any help with dinner,’ mum said, looking as if she couldn’t stand the sight of me.

‘I will join you.’ Dad took her arm as they left.

‘Let’s go check on Georgia,’ Aura suggested to Taran.

Sonny and Arella just stood up silently and followed them out. They were probably going to explain to Ryvre that they did want her but they had no choice to let her go.