Do you really think I'm a robot?

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Note: I wrote this on the description but I'm putting in this disclaimer here too. I'm not writing anything new. This is exactly what happens in the series. However, if you've read some of the things I've posted here, you know I like to dissect things. And extend them sometimes, so this is what I'm doing. It's simply a writing exercise. It's been sitting here for a while and I decided to put it here for the internet people to judge lol.

Eda

Engaged. It wasn't happening the way she thought it would.

It was all Cenk's fault.

Still, she made her bed, now she had to lie in it. She was really doing it. For all her impulsiveness, she was getting a bit nervous to face all these people. She knew very well the kind and what they valued in life.

She looked at the yellow dress on the bed and thought of what her life became. She couldn't honestly say she was all that broken up about Cenk. She was broken up about the way she was stuck in a rut ever since her scholarship was canceled. It was like a pause button was pressed and she was in this limbo for longer than she really was. So yes, she did think getting engaged was a way to move forward with her life. All she knew was she had to do something.

Even though she should have listened to the girls and believed all the signs, she should have known Cenk was not about to propose. In the end, it was a good thing he didn't, she would have said yes, for all the wrong reasons. However, he should not have said he didn't believe a girl like her could ever be with Serkan Bolat. So she was still blaming him for everything that happened later that day. At least for the time being.

Serkan Bolat: the king of mixed signals.

Definitely not to whom she thought she'd be engaged to right now.

He was the most complex man she had ever met. She was supposed to play his doting, loving fiancée so he could get his real ex-girlfriend back. Simple.

There was nothing simple about any of this. They had a contract. A real one. His mother hated her, her aunt's head was about to explode, her friends were not buying any of it, except maybe Melo and she could not forget the most important detail of all: they hated each other.

He was just a name. A face she used to focus all of her frustration at the way she lost all control of her life. And now that she met him... she still could not read him. He really was like a robot. The coldest man she'd ever met, stiff as a board.

She put on the dress, only to remember she needed help to zip it until the end. She was about to call for help when the man himself knocked on the door.

'May I come in?'

It was like she conjured him up. It was the freakiest thing ever, lately, he seemed to be everywhere she was. 'No, I've got a problem. There's an issue with th-'

And then he just opened the door. The mas was impossible.

It was unfair. One could even say it was a waste.

He was very handsome in what was probably a beautiful designer dark blue suit. For a moment, just a brief second really, she looked at him and forgot that this was all for a fake event.

'What is it?' He asked after she caught herself staring at him. Just a little.

'I can't close the zipper up by myself. It goes higher than I remembered, and I can't reach it all the way,' then she saw his lips twitching a little, 'is there something funny? Can you call Piril or Leyla to help me, please?'

He looked down, slightly smiling. At least what could be Serkan smiling.

'Wouldn't that be a bit weird when your fiancé is around? Do you want me to call my mother?'

Dear Lord, no.

'No, no, it's not necessary to call your mother all the way here. Definitely not.'

'All right. I'd do it myself but... if you remember the terms of our contract, I am not to touch you until you allow it. So, do you allow it?'

Did he have to phrase it like that? She didn't know what to say so she just nodded her head once and turned around to the mirror, giving him her back.

He closed the door and stepped closer to her and her mouth went a littledry. She didn't understand her body's reaction to him. They barely knew each other, she hated this man. At least, she hated everything she knew of him. And yet... she felt every one of his fingers when he swept her hair over her shoulder. When he pulled the zipper up, and when he put the strap of her dress back in place. Even though there was no need.

There was something dangerous happening. It was as if time stopped and she forgot how to breathe. This would be so much easier if he wasn't so good-looking.

 This would be so much easier if he wasn't so good-looking

Thankfully, he opened his mouth.

'There you go, it fits,' he tells her unaffected as always. Eda, what are you doing?

'Right, your mom wants to talk to me. I'll just-' and then she left before she said something she'd have a hard time explaining.

~*~

She looked at everything ready for their party and gave herself a little pep talk, you can't keep living life on the sidelines, Eda. Sometimes you have to go and get what you want, you're going to be an architect. A brilliant one. So what if he's still got that dangerous look on his face right now? You're doing this for two months and you're not going back on your word.

She felt slightly better. It'll have to be enough.

'Eda, are you all right?'

'Yes, I just needed to get some fresh air. You?'

'I'm fine. Everyone was looking for you. Your aunt just got here.' Oh, goodie.

'Okay.'

They were doing this. It was going to be fine.

This was temporary. Pretend stuff. She didn't like anybody here. She owed these people nothing. Except maybe Serkan. It was fine.

Just fine.