↠ toph (1)

request by @Crash_Tomboy
-
in which you try to help toph overcome her fear of water
-
"Water tribe!" Sokka and I finished our secret handshake, striking a pose.

Aang stifled a laugh through a mouthful of cherries as Katara rolled her eyes. Our sister could never master the secret water tribe handshake, no matter how hard she tried. Call it what you want, but we called it jealousy.

My brother ruffled my hair, leaving me to go find Suki.

I plucked a cherry from Aang and Katara's bowl at the picnic table.

"You know," I wiped cherry juice from my mouth with the back of my hand, "this camping trip is pretty fun."

"The cherries are the best part," Aang said, grabbing another handful.

Katara slowly moved the bowl away from him.

"I think that's enough for you."

Springtime was the perfect season for camping. The sun was nice and warm during the day, and nights were breezy. It was the perfect weather for going exploring with Sokka and telling stories with Zuko. I loved staying up all night around the campfire, especially with Toph. Our springtime camping trips were always memorable.

I left my sister at the picnic table and trekked toward the clearing.

Toph and Zuko were sitting on the grass, watching Sokka and Suki spar.

"Hi, guys!" I skipped to them.

Toph turned her head my direction, "Hey Y/N! You sound pretty today."

"Um," I frowned, "do I not sound pretty every day?"

"Don't push me."

Zuko chuckled, making room so I could sit.

"Hey," he nudged me, "what's going on today?"

Toph grumbled, "Anything's better than listening to whatever this is," she gestured toward my brother and Suki.

They appeared to be sparring in the clearing, fan against sword, but they were hardcore flirting. When Suki finally pinned Sokka down, I leaned over to Toph.

"If they start making out, I'll tell you to lift up your feet," I snickered.

She sighed, "It's a blessing and a curse."

"If you guys are done," I yelled to Sokka and Suki, "let's go do something fun!"

My brother perked up, "I like fun!"

"Then let's go swimming!" I called to him.

Toph paled beside me.

"Swimming," she stated.

"Yeah, Toph," I studied her face, "swimming."

I knew that Toph was uncomfortable in elements where she couldn't use her senses, and floating in water isn't ideal when you see with your feet. As a Water Tribe sibling, swimming was second nature to me; and I aimed to help Toph enjoy it as much as I did.

I put my hand on her shoulder.

"I'll stay right with you the whole time," I promised, "I won't let you go."