Scene Two

At the center of St. Petersburg, masses of poor and rich alike huddled together. General Alexei stood in front of them on a raised platform. Alexei was wearing his uniform; a thick, dark gray shirt emblazoned with gold buttons and shoulder boards. His back was straight as an arrow, and his eyes gleamed with pride as he made his announcement to the people.
     "Comrades, as of today St. Petersburg is Leningrad. It is time to get out from under our history of Imperial rule. It is time to start an era of hope and improvement. We will no longer be hungry or lacking. The Soviet Union will provide!" His fist was raised high in the air as supporters yelled together in celebration.
     Hopefulness wasn't the only thing working its way through the crowds. Rumors, murmurs, and dissent selectively made their way among the Tsar loyalists.
     "The Grand Duchess... Natalia .... Alive" All the words reverberated among the people.
     A young man stood in the back of the crown. His shirt was scrupled and his suspenders were cockeyed. The left arm of the shirt hung loosely revealing he was one of the many men to come home from the Great War missing a limb. The young man's eyebrows were scrunched together in exasperation and thought hiding his usual cocky tone.
     "Different name, same hunger. Aye, James?" A tall blonde said. He had a light-hearted manner about him that could lift anybody up. 
     "Red or white, they don't care much for us. We're just disposable soldiers." Not even James' care-free and cocky demeanor could hide the bitterness and anger rising in him.
     An older woman came up to them, in a hushed whisper she asks, "Have you heard? Grand Duchess Natalia is still alive. Her grandmama would pay a royal sum to see her again." Her eyes glistened and looked from side to side while a mischievous smile crept onto her face.
     As the pair walked away, James revealed his latest con. "Clint, you were once a part of the royal court. You practically have a doctorate in the royal family. Any redhead would do as long as she could act -"
     "James, what are you getting at?" Clint could no longer follow his rambling
     "I'm saying we execute the greatest con in history. We train a Russian girl to be the lost Grand Duchess Natalia. She gets to be royalty and we get to be set up for the rests of our lives, my friend."
     "We already missed our chance to get out, they just closed down more borders," Clint replied worriedly.
     "Look it's not any more dangerous than our usual cons."
     "It's a lot more dangerous" Clint sighed as he walked down the worn sidewalk. The group has all but subsided. Once again, the rich and the poor were separate.
     As the duo walked through the streets, vendors called out trying to catch anyone's attention. The poor side of St. Petersburg was filled with vendors. Small umbrellas of all colors, the young and old, men and women all lined up to try and put food on the table. Romanov was a common word thrown around; a Romanov painting, a Romanov rocking horse, anything you can imagine was Romanov. Most didn't catch the men's eyes, but there was one exception.
     "An original Romanov music box. Found in the castle."
     James nudged Clint in the dealer's direction. "How much comrade?"
     "5 rubles"
     James deepened his voice more than normal, "How about a can of beans?"
      "Deal," The merchant said happily.
     The music box wasn't in perfect condition. There was dirt in the carving's crevices, and the dancing figure would sometimes jam. Nevertheless, it could be handy when presenting their Natalia to the Dowager Empress.
     Clint led them to a large, old building on the other side of St. Petersburg. The abandoned Yusupov castle was a grim reminder of how far the country has come. The windows and doors have all been hastily covered up to prevent trespassing and looting. James was easily able to break off the cheap wood. The palace was empty, and the only saved from being broken or stolen was the chandelier hanging high from the ceiling. The men didn't have time to stare and wonder about what has been, they had to get the auditions started. 
     The castle's theater was located on the first floor. The stage was covered in dust and hidden away by red curtains drawn close. The curtain's golden cuffs were stolen long ago. The seats were dusty and had rat bites, and appeared to have no one sitting in them for quite some time. Getting young women to audition wasn't very hard. A trip to Paris, money, and a royal title isn't a very hard bargain.
     The first auditions weren't successful. The first woman didn't even have red hair and her acting was perfect for a children's play. The second didn't have any proper manners, and the third could only pass for Jessica Rabbit. James ran his finger through his wavy hair making it even messier. He took a walk to clear his head and better formulate his plan. While walking he accidentally bumped into a street sweeper.
     "I'm sorry I should've been paying more attention," James looked up to see who he was addressing, "...mam." His voice trailed off as he looked up to see Natasha. He immediately went to shake her hand, "I'm James Barnes. Nice to meet ya, and you are?"
     She smiled softly. "Natasha."
     "Just Natasha?" James asked already imagining her audition.
    "I don't have any family, and I don't remember much of anything. Has anyone ever told you you ask too many questions?" Natasha let her smile reach to her eyes now
     "I see. Now, how do you feel about a free trip to Paris?" No family means no one to argue your "royal" parentage.
     James steered Natasha to the palace leaving the broom to lay on the sidewalk. As Natasha entered the castle her heart skipped a beat and her breath caught in her throat. There was something about it that was familiar and comforting. In the back of her mind, she could hear sweet violin and piano playing an exciting tune. As they entered the theater, Clint could be found dozing softly in one of the chairs. His legs lazily lounged on the chair in front of him. James swat at him with his hat.
     "Clint, come on, I've found the solution!" He said dramatically putting his arms out from him and doing a little spin.
     "Wha-," Clint opened his eyes to see Natasha and he rushed to stand up. "She can certainly play the part. I'm Clint Barton and your future historian."
     "I'm Natasha." She said curtly
     James clapped his hands together, "Stop small-talking and let's get started."
     A knock was heard at General Alexei's door. His office was rather bleak. A wooden desk stood in the center showing off pictures of his family and meeting his superiors. There was nothing on his walls just grey paint. His office building itself was brick resembling all the other government buildings. In the corner, there was a bookshelf filled with important political books and manuscripts.
     "Come in." Alexei stood up and straightened his uniform with his hands.
     Three woman filed in. They were all looking down, and ringing in their hands nervously. The trio looked absolutely pitiful. "General, we'd like to report something about the Natalia rumors."
Alexei sighed and ran his hands across his face. None of his training prepared him to have to deal with so much rumor and gossip. The past could never stay dead.
     "Thank you ladies, I'll deal with it."
     "Natasha is quite malicious you know? I'd be sure to arrest her as soon as possible." A blonde spoke up out of the group her mouth turned downward in a disgusted scowl.
     Alexei made his way across the room gently putting his hands on the young girl's back. "The streets will be safe, don't you worry." He led the woman out the door.
     Once he was alone in his room, he filed for the arrest for Natasha. His heart dropped to his stomach hoping with all his might that it was a simple mix up. She was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Sitting there, the young general was able to make up a thousand excuses in her favor.