Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I drove Louis to the game the next day

I drove Louis to the game the next day. Coach wanted his help to coach the team now that he couldn't be on the field himself while I would take his place as the captain. I was quite nervous about it, but I tried my best not to let it show.

We were currently warming up, the whole team standing in a circle on the field, passing the ball to each other while one of us was in the middle, trying to steal it. If you did, you switched places with the one passing the ball.

The warm-up continued until the referee blew his whistle, calling the opposing team's captain and me to the centerline. After tossing the coin — which I won — we walked back to our separate teams, now gathered at the side of the field to talk before the game began.

Coach and Louis had joined the circle when I reached them, Coach talking about what we should think about and what our priorities were. When he was finished, I got to say the last words.

"Alright, guys. Let's go out there and kick some ass!"

And that was exactly what we did.

After the first half of the game, we were winning with 3-0. I had scored two of the goals and Niall the other one while our defenders were doing a great job keeping their attackers away from the goal, and Liam was playing at his very best.

It felt amazing. I didn't recall the last time I had felt this excited for a game. The adrenaline was pumping in my veins, and I could tell I wasn't the only one, judging by the atmosphere around the team.

We were now sitting in the locker room, chatting about the first half of the game and how we would keep up the good work, when Louis plopped down on the bench beside me, placing his crutches on the floor.

"You're doing a great job out there, Curly," he complimented.

I turned to him, a toothy grin forming on my lips. "Thank you, Louis."

He returned the smile half-heartedly. I could tell he was sad that he couldn't play, and I felt bad for him. I patted his thigh twice to show my support. "We're missing you out there, you know?"

He cracked another smile, shrugging his shoulders. "I'll be back soon enough."

I nodded in agreement.

After that, it was time to head back to the field. We left the locker room and got ready to play the second half of the match.

We ended up winning the game, and the adrenaline among the team was most definitely the reason behind it. It ended 5-1, with Zayn and Ryan scoring the last two goals. Coach was pleased. It wasn't hard to tell when we were sitting in the locker room ten minutes after the game.

"You did amazing out there, guys. Everyone watching should be proud. I know I am," he smiled, looking between us with a bright smile on his lips.

"Coach is right," I agreed. "We played without our captain today, and I am proud of you guys for managing so well without him. I did my best, but I am sure I'm not only speaking for myself when I say we missed him out there with us today."