50

A/N- you guys it's been a really nerve wracking three days. I was locked out of my Wattpad account and I couldn't remember my email and I'd been freaking out trying to find a way to get access to this account so I could write my stuff. I've literally never been so anxious over the thought that I might lose everything I've got written here. I've got a lot written out for Alex's story and I thought I'd have to start over or something. Anyways, this is just a warning. In case you guys log out, Wattpad's gonna insist that you change your password even if you know it. So make sure you know your email address, and at least three stories in your library and if you have any, three stories in your drafts. Anyways I'm back, and I know it was three days but it felt like forever, so I'm gonna update three parts to celebrate. Okay, I've gone on for a while, sorry. Here's part 50.

————————

The duelling club had started off interesting enough. Alex ended up going with her housemates and meeting Hermione there.

"I didn't see you at dinner." Hermione said, accusingly.

"I got some food and went to spend some more time with Kichiro and Venus." She said. And she had. There was no way she could see herself getting out of having to see Madam Pomfrey. At this point, all she could think of to do was to appear as healthy as possible. Which meant being extra healthy today. She knew it didn't work that way, but it was all she had.

"Oh, okay." Hermione said. "Hey, you'll be my partner, right?"

"I'm strictly here to observe." Alex shook her head. "But you can work with Susan."

"Observe? Why?"

"I didn't even want to come." Alex said, before turning to face the front. "Just, watch."

"Watch what?" Hermione asked. Alex gestured to Lockhart who'd just entered the room with Snape. "Why is he here?" Alex didn't answer.

"Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent!" Everyone began to shuffle around the platform at the front of the class. "Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions - for full details, see my published works. Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape. He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry - you'll still have your potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

"Oh no." Hermione paled.

"Oh yes." Alex grinned widely.

"Snape won't stand a chance." Hermione defended her idol. Alex snorted.

"Please, he's going to wipe the floor with Lockhart." Alex said. There was a cold smirk on Snape's face. Lockhart was smiling as though he didn't understand how out of his depth he was. As airheaded as he was, he probably didn't. "I don't know how Lockhart was ever in Ravenclaw. He clearly doesn't have an ounce of sense." Lockhart and Snape bowed your each other, as was custom, before raising their wands at each other.

"As you see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position," Lockhart told the silent crowd. "On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."

"I wouldn't bet on that," Alex heard Harry mutter and smirked. Snape did look somewhat murderous, she supposed. But only if you didn't know him. If you did know him, you'd be able to see the amusement in his expression.

"One - two - three-"

"Expelliarmus!" Snape said and a red light came out of his wand, sending Lockhart crashing against the wall. Alex didn't openly cheer like the Slytherins, but she did laugh out loud, covering her mouth. Hermione was covering her mouth too, but more in fear for Lockhart.

"Do you think he's all right?" Hermione asked.

"Hermione, if a witch or wizard can't hold their own against a disarming spell, they have no business teaching students how to defend themselves." Hermione had nothing to say to that. Lockhart got back on his feet, missing his hat and his wand.

"Well, there you have it!" he said, walking back onto the platform. "That was a Disarming Charm. As you see, I've lost my wand, ah thank you, Miss Brown. Yes, an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind my saying so, it was very obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you it would have been only too easy - however, I felt it would be instructive to let them see..."

"It would have been easy to stop him if he actually knew the spell and if he was fast enough." Alex muttered, with a huff.

"Do you honestly believe Dumbledore would hire someone incompetent for the DADA position? You ought to have more faith in Professor Lockhart."

"Are you forgetting who your DADA teacher was last year?"

"Quirrel was creepy and evil, but he wasn't inept at defense." Hermione said. Alex glared at her friend. "What? He wasn't."

"Whatever." Alex huffed. Lockhart clearly realised that he wouldn't be able to hold his own against Snape in a duel and decided it was time for everyone to partner up. Alex watched as Snape turned his sights on Harry and Ron.

"Time to split up the dream team, I think." She said as he directed Harry to partner with Draco.

"You should go to Susan before Snape decides to pair you with someone you don't like." Hermione nodded and headed over to the Hufflepuff. Alex walked over to the side as everyone partnered up.

"Oh, dear. I do believe there's an odd number of students. Why don't you partner with me for the exercise? I'll try to be lenient." Alex's eyes lit up in excitement but Snape approached, putting his hand firmly on Alex's shoulder.

"You should be keeping an eye on the rest of your students to make sure they're following your instructions." He cut in, smoothly. "And as Miss Weasley has gotten in enough trouble this term for hexing her classmates, I think watching from the sidelines is just what she needs."

"Oh? Well, okay. I suppose I could hardly deny these young impressionable minds some extra guidance." He walked off and began correcting forms and giving tips.

"I know I said I wanted to observe, but now I really want to duel against Lockhart and make a fool of him." She grumbled.

"What do you have against him?" Snape asked. "You harbour a lot of hate for the man. You haven't even had a full lesson with him."

"Maybe I just don't trust defense teachers. Besides, he's a total dunce." She huffed.