十四

[A/N]: Trigger warning for death and murder intent.

❀❀❀

 "You'll watch that person die."

The wind howled, the raindrops crashed, and the sky darkened. Fortunately, Akane had managed to seek refuge at a hut near the waterfall. He ran a hand through his wet locks before sneaking a glance at the girl beside him. [Name], who was wrapped in Akane's jacket, laid unconscious on the floor. She would occasionally mumble in her sleep, though Akane couldn't decipher anything that left her lips.

 "What am I going to do with you?" He heaved a sigh, reaching out his hand to touch her forehead. His eyes widened slightly at the feeling of the artist's searing temperature. "A fever..."

 "D-Don't go," [Name] muttered. Judging by how her face scrunched up, she was having a nightmare. "I-I promise I'll be a good girl... I won't run away, d-don't go. I-It's not my fault... I didn't w-want that."

A frown overtook Akane's surprise. He brought the girl's body closer to his own and enveloped her in warmth. His attempted in relieving [Name] from her nightmares succeeded. When her breathing relaxed, the corners of Akane's lips curled into a smile. It was then that Mizu's words repeated themselves in his mind.

 "Hurry! Get here out of here! She shouldn't remember anything else!"

Everything, from their past to the present, confused Akane. How was someone who was able to see supernaturals robbed of their power so easily? What on earth was the deal with the house? More importantly, who in the world was [Mother's Name]? Seriously, ignoring your child just because she broke a vase was on another level of pathetic. The irritation he felt had subsided, though not fully.

Vengeful spirit or mother, Akane wouldn't allow any of them to ruin [Name]'s life.

Exhaustion had taken a toll on the school mystery. It was only natural, considering that he had spent the whole day walking along with [Name]. With his eyes getting heavier by each passing second, Akane was lulled to sleep in no time. [Name] remained in his embrace, unfazed even as Akane rested his cheek on the crown of her head.

Time for rest.

❀❀❀

Akane opened his eyes.

 "His wife and daughter are so young, yet he already had his life taken away."

 "Poor them, it's unfortunate that the husband went crazy."

His eyes immediately glanced down to see the clothes he was wearing. All black. Without a doubt, Akane was attending a funeral. For whom? He had no idea. He navigated his way through the crowd of people, making his way inside the room where the coffin was. Like the other visitors had said, the deceased was a young man around his late twenties.

Indeed, he was too young to die.

 "Stop crying. Why are you crying?"

Akane turned his head in the direction of the stern voice. A mother and her daughter, who he deduced to be the wife and child of the deceased, sat beside the coffin. The girl had her face buried in her hands as her mother chastised her. He stood in his spot and listened to the mother continue scolding her child.

 "Crying is a sign of weakness. You shouldn't cry. Can't you see them staring at you? They're saying that you're pitiful. Do you want that?" She gripped her daughter's wrist. "You don't deserve to cry. Don't tell me you've forgotten that this is your fault? If you haven't run away again, then your father would've been alive."

The child stopped shivering; however, she stayed completely still. Akane couldn't help but approach her, curiosity overwhelming the voice in his head telling him not to get closer.

The bespectacled boy's eyes widened when he noticed someone walking towards him. There was nowhere for Akane to go to, he was surrounded by people walking in and out the room. With only a few meters separating them, Akane closed his eyes and braced himself for impact—still, nothing came. When he opened his eyes again, Akane almost screamed at how the visitors passed through his body. Was this how that infuriating number seven felt whenever he saw people who couldn't touch him?

If they couldn't touch him, then it's only natural that they couldn't see him as well.

 "Stop crying, [Name]. Or I'll die too." [Mother's Name] pulled [Name]'s hands away from her face. A small, sinister smile invisible to the visitors was plastered on her face—the sight of it was enough to make a shiver go down Akane's spine. "You wouldn't want me to die, would you? Raise your head for me, dear."

Like a robot, young [Name] raised her head. Tears continued to flow from her puffed [eye color] eyes, dripping to the black clothing she wore. Her hands, clenched into fists, were on her lap. She avoided looking into her mother's eyes and stared straight ahead. Akane flinched. It was as if she could see him.

Her mouth moved, yet no words could be heard slipping out of her lips. Akane narrowed his eyes in an attempt to decipher the girl's silent words. [Mother's Name]'s smile grew wider as she stared at [Name].

 "Help me."

Akane's blood ran cold. He instinctively took a step back before glancing towards [Mother's Name]. His heart pounded against his chest when their eyes locked. The woman let out a low chuckle, and her eyes turned into feline-like slits. She wrapped her arms around [Name], whose eyes were fixated on Akane, then said:

"Think you can save her, boy? Sorry, but I'll be bringing her to hell with me."

❀❀❀

Sharp gasps for air escaped Akane's lips as he sat up. He immediately glanced beside him to see [Name] staring at him with wide, teary eyes. Beads of sweat dripped down her forehead. With her face flushed red, she looked like she had a hard time breathing.

"Akane, I can't move. Help me, please, help me."

Without realizing it, Akane carried [Name] in his arms and descended the mountain. If there was somebody in this town that had any idea of what to do, it'd be her grandparents. The bespectacled boy's teeth were clenched, and fear was streaming through his veins. No matter how much he wanted to just stop and scream, he couldn't.

He couldn't bear to leave [Name] alone.

❀❀❀

[A/N]: Sorry if I'm taking a long time to update. I actually just wrote this fanfic on a whim, not really thinking about how it should end. No worries though, I already know how this is going to end. It's just that I need time to write so that I can actually give it a good flow. Hope you like the update! Thank you so much for the 1K reads and 100 votes! I know how hard it is to actually get your story noticed here in Wattpad lol. Stay safe and healthy, everyone!