Temporary Bliss

"I can't do this anymore. I can't keep coming to your bed, just for you to kick me out in as soon as we are through. Never letting me stay until morning. You have to make a decision. I'm either your girlfriend or I'm gone. Because, this, well it is slowly killing me."

"Yeah, that is a great speech. Are you actually going to say it this time?"

Looking in the mirror, meeting her twins eyes, Josie nods her head. This was the night that everything came to a head.

"I have to. She calls me and asks me to her bed, but then she just messes with my head. I only ever have part of her at a time. Telling me that I am her one and only but in truth, I'm not."

"I know Jo, but you have been trying to 'break up' with her for a year now."

"Well this time it is going to stick. Either I'm still there in the morning and I have a girlfriend, or I delete her from my life and move on. I refuse to kill my dreams anymore."

Lizzie smiled at her sister. She really sounded serious this time. She wanted the best for her, and hoped that things worked out.

"I'm heading over there now. Wish me luck."

"Good luck."

*****

Josie stood nervously outside the apartment door working up the courage to knock. Taking a deep breath, she raised her hand and knocked.

The door flung open revealing the girl that she had spent a year chasing. Tonight, she would find out if it was a waste.

"Hey babe! Come in."

Josie stepped into the apartment but didn't move away from the door.

"Are you going to stay there or are you going to come in to stay awhile?"

"That depends on you."

Turning to close the door, the older girl turns and raises an eyebrow in question, walking further into the apartment.

"I can't keep doing this. I can't keep coming when you call, just for you to send me away before the morning. We both know that you only call me when your lonely. The choice is yours. Either I'm your one and only or this is it and we are over. Never call me again."

"I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't want anything more than what we have. If that isn't enough for you, that is your choice. I was honest from the start. When we are together you are my one and only, but when we aren't together, then we aren't together."

"Okay, you have made your decision and I guess mine is made too."

"Josie don't be like that. We have fun. Why can't we continue to have fun?"

"Because I can't keep touching you like this if it is only temporary. I am looking for the rest of my life, not the rest of the night. I want to be someone's whole life."

Looking over her shoulder one last time, the brunette reached for the door and pulled it open.

"Goodbye Jade."

Josie walked out of the door and started to cry the moment that it closed behind her. She couldn't believe that she finally did it. She put herself first.

A sudden noise startled her. When she looked up, she saw Jade's neighbor coming out of her apartment with a bag of trash. They locked eyes for a moment and then the neighbor walked over to the garbage shoot.

On her way back she stops to look at Josie. Eyes wet and puffy from crying. Nose red and running. Shaking her head, she opens her door, walking in, leaving the door open.