Chapter 1- Alyssa

Hii! I'm here again to give you a chapter! I hope you like it. Anyways. Hehe.

Alyssa POV
I woke up, my face feeling kinda weird. Something about last night... 

...But maybe we should begin with how my life was. I never felt I really belonged, and my dad just put up with me because I was a red. If I was even a yellow, I'm sure he would have thrown me out of the house by now. He just keeps and raises me for insurance. I also put up with him, not because I liked being with that human monster, but because I honestly didn't know what to do if I ever was to run away. Even if I ran away, I doubt anyone would care to look for me. I didn't have friends because my dad never let me out of the house- only for school. I haven't had any since Jonathan... anyways, I can read minds- I don't need to get to know people. 

Then I remembered what happened last night. I had had a bad day. The school grades came out and, although I studied every single day, every single night, and anytime I could, I still received near failing grades. It was probably just a mistake or the fact that the principal never liked me, but my dad was furious. He'd screamed at me, threw things around, and hurt me more than he'd ever hurt me before. And the words he'd said as he left my room, hurt most. "You're the reason your mother left. If it wasn't for you, she would still have been here. You're nothing but a troublemaking piece of trash." It hurt, worse than my aching body, covered in bruises and cuts. It hurt worse than the pieces of glass embedded in my skin, from the bottles of the alcohol he consumed. It hurt more than the stinging tears that threatened to spill over.  It hurt, but I knew it was true. Mom had left when I was born, leaving him to take care of me. But it was my fault. I knew that. I fingered the necklace my mom had, apparently, left to my father. He'd given it to me, back before he became abusive. It was a simple silver cord with a symbol I didn't really recognize. (It looks like this)

There was also a pendant that I had found in the attic

There was also a pendant that I had found in the attic. It was in a small box decorated with black, red, and white symbols. The pendant key had the same symbol the necklace had.

 The pendant key had the same symbol the necklace had

How I found it... well, one day I was just cleaning out the attic- although I didn't usually do that- and the box was in an old fashioned trunk kind of thing. It seemed to be glowing, and I looked through the stuff in it. Honestly, other than the box, the stuff in the trunk was just ordinary stuff- a few dusty books, some wrapped packages- nothing out of the ordinary. As far as I knew, the packages contained metal things. I never really opened them. The box hat held the key also held a note from my mom, and this is what it said.        

Dear daughter,

This is my gift to you. You will know its use when you find out who you are. I hope you find it in time before they take you. May the gods be with you, Alyssa. We do not like to admit it, but we need you. We need you to save those of your race.

Your mother,

Εκάτη

Something in me knew the name at the bottom was Greek. I don't know how I knew. I never really did test it out. When I had first seen the letter, I had wondered why my mom had said 'when you find out who you are'. What exactly was I? Was there something different about me? Yeah, I had ADHD, but that wasn't something that special, right? I mean, hundreds of other kids had it... Otherwise, I didn't really have anything different from other kids. Well, other than the fact my mom left me, and I had no friends. But that didn't necessarily account for 'who I am'. That question, really, still bothered me. Another thing that bothered me? Mom said gods. As if gods were real. And, from the name my mom used in the letter, she meant Greek gods. I never really believed in Greek gods. To me, they were just a bunch of statues. And rock. And paint. Nothing more. This got me so engrossed, but bitter at the same time.

 I needed to look at my cat, to remind myself that even though I didn't really mean anything, wasn't really important to other people as a person, I was still a red. And that accounted for something. Maybe one day, I could finally break free of everyone's pressure, everyone's betrayal. Everyone's hate. I never have to deal with them again. 

Oh, how wrong was. As my body shrank into a furry cat's body, I looked at myself in the mirror. 

And I had to stifle a scream, because there in the mirror, a gray cat was looking back at me.