𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙣 ; 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙚𝙮𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙡𝙙

A/N: it's been a long time since I wrote anything, so I'm testing out the waters again I suppose. Little bit of angst to kick off the book. Probably going to be rather short I'm sorry :/

-

"Your eyes...You have nice eyes. "

Her face twisted in shock as the boy stared back at her in disbelief. She hadn't meant to say it aloud, and she was sure to curse herself for it later. Nervously toying with the hem of her military issued jacket, she cast her gaze to the hard ground they sat upon.

It was true. She often found herself lost in them, a void of green and blues melding into each other, like a meadow and a blue sky, just as she had remembered.

She was sure the blush on her face had spread all the way to her ears now, as they lay down on the greenery outside the training encampment. She silently begged the boy to speak now, to change the subject to anything but her word vomit. She could feel a sickly feeling growing in her stomach as she turned her gaze back up to the sky above them. A sea of orange and pink as the night began to roll in.

Against the grass, she felt a hand envelop around her own. It was warm and rugged, but it was his.

"Your eyes are much prettier."

-

There was nothing that could have prepared the cadets for this. Bodies cast across the city, those who hadn't found themselves in the jaws of a titan. The smell of blood lingered around her, the sickly sight was enough to send the strongest of them all into a daze.

Still, on they fought. They were bloodied now. Those too stubborn to die, fight on.

The abnormal broke apart the group of titans around them, but even titans grow tired. She watched as they tore into his flesh, the screams were terrifying.

She looked deep into the gaping eyes of the titan, a familiar glint in them. Anger, hatred and a stubborn will to live draining from the globes. Much like a boy she knew.

A boy she lost.

"He has pretty eyes. "

-

She had loved the boy throughout it all. The war against the titans, the death of their comrades, his true nature revealed. The grief, the pain, the rage.

"Look me in the eye, Eren." A broken whisper left her lips, as she sat nursing a battered and bruised Armin. The words passed between the four of them cut deeper than any blade, than any razor sharp teeth of the enemy.

Still, a whimpering flame of hope still burnt somewhere in her. This was still her Eren, her boy with the pretty blue eyes.

Her optics searched his for any sign of life, a glint of empathy, a glint of humanity. Anything other than the dead stare he gave her.

"You know what I hate most in this world?" Eren's voice was all but dead. No familiar grin in his voice, just an icey tone to match the lack of emotion in his face. "Cattle. Those who eat and live and try to fool themselves that they will not die at the hand of their master. "

"You live your pitiful life in the hope you might mean something in the end. Throw yourself at the edge of a sword in hopes you amount to anything in the end. You won't. "

Within a split second, she had risen to her feet. A grimace on her lips as she swung for the man. Her face was twisted in a pain, small grunts leaving her as he caught her fist within his. Again, her eyes desperately searched his face for any kind of remorse, anything.

She was begging at this point. But to no avail. He didn't falter.

"You are a liar." A sad smile graced her features. Defeatedly pulling her wrist from his, she let it fall to her side as she stood away from him. He walked towards the door, never passing a glance to his friends.

"And your eyes...are so cold now."

With that last retort from here, he slammed the wooden door and the last she heard from him was his footsteps dulling out as he walked away.