Epilogue

Here it is, the end of a journey.

Enjoy!

•••

SIX MONTHS LATER

The tree I sat beneath protected me against the July sun, the summer breeze cooling my exposed skin, courtesy of the floral crop top and ripped jeans I wore. Leo was running around the park with Jean, a friend he'd made on his first day of school. Leo said that he was his best friend, and best friends always have play dates so they can play together, and that's exactly what they were doing right now.

I had my magazine's draft in hand, reviewing our work for a final time before we'd have to publish the issue. On the small picnic blanket I'd laid out was Leo and Jean's snacks for the day; fruits, per his mother's request; juice boxes; chocolate-coated biscuits; water. Whenever the two got tired from playing their never-ending game of tag, they'd come and sit by me to argue about who won.

A smile tugged at my lips when my phone buzzed with a ringtone I set specifically for Isaac. I set the magazine down on my lap and picked it up to answer him, rolling my eyes at his text.

I set the phone down and looked around my area in search of the two children I had to take care of

I set the phone down and looked around my area in search of the two children I had to take care of. They were a couple of meters away playing in a playground with some other kids they'd met. My eyes flitted to the left when I caught movement coming my way. It was a random guy, about my age, with brown hair and similarly colored eyes.

I squinted up at him, "Can I help you?" I asked when he stood in front of me, a smile playing at his lips. It wasn't smug, just polite, like the one you'd give a stranger.

He rubbed the back of his neck, "Yeah, um, hi," He stuttered, an American accent coating his words. My eyebrows rose at his shyness, "I just saw you on your own and was wondering if you wanted some... company."

I blinked, suppressing my smile when I saw Isaac lugging a large mesh sack filled with things I asked him to bring. He was grumbling some shit under his breath as he walked up the slanted sidewalk. I didn't know if he was silently cursing me out for asking him to get the most random things or because I chose a spot on a small hill.

The man cleared his throat making me snap my gaze back in his direction, "Sorry, what?" I questioned, placing my hand on my forehead to shield my eyes from the sun.

Of course, I forgot my sunglasses on a day like this.

"Oh, I was just asking if you wanted some–"

"Cookies?" Isaac interrupted, dropping the large bag on the grass by the picnic blanket. He eyed the random guy before looking at me, cocking his head in the man's direction, "Is he selling cookies?"

I shook my head, scooting to the side before patting the spot by me. I glanced up at the man, who was now staring at Isaac with wide, fearful eyes, "I'm sorry, I honestly didn't hear you the first time. Is there anything I can help you with? Are you lost?"