Courage

Chapter 51: Courage

I don't have the courage to call them. I paced back and forth on the wooden deck. If I Facetimed them, they would see my red eyes. If I called, they would complain about not being able to see me. Which would bring me back to my original problem. It's not like they aren't going to find out tomorrow anyways.

"Are you okay?" Clementine opened the door to reveal everyone standing by the door.

"No." I groaned out. I wanted to lay down and not wake up. Even though I miss my old life, I don't want to go home. I felt emotionless there.

"What's the matter?" Kai asked hesitantly. I think this is the first time they have seen me as such a wreck. Besides Adrian, no one else has seen me freak out.

"This." I nearly poked my eye out, "How am I suppose to hide, this? They are going to find out. Then they will take me away from here. Probably lock me back up in that house. I would be stuck there. They won't let me go away for college. I am going to be trapped forever!"

Two hands clamp down on my shoulder sending jolts of lighting through my body. Almost immediately I began to calm down. His touch shouldn't have this effect on me, but it does, and I can't help but enjoy it.

"Relax." Kai pulled me into a hug. My breathing eventually went back to normal.
"Do you think red eyed or even pink eye demons walk around all the time with their natural eye colors in the human world." The way Kai phrased made me feel like the answer was no. "There is a charm you can wear. Just be careful to not take it off around mortals."

"Do you have it now?" I asked hesitantly.

"No. We will receive them tomorrow at the start of our mission." Let out a sigh of disappointment.

"Why?" Alvina piped up from the doorway. Her voice reminded me, Kai and I weren't alone.

I turned to her with a blush and I caught the end of what Zephyr whispered to Clementine.

"Hey!" I shouted, "You two are way worse than Kai and me!" I clamped my hand over my mouth. Did I just admit that there was a Kai and me? Looking at Zephyr's smug grin, I guess I did.

"Well, well. Isn't this an interesting development." Alvina mused. I stared at the floor. Can it open up and eat me, already?

"I need the pendant to call my parents." I changed to topic. Too bad it wasn't a better subject.

"Don't worry." Kai said in a calming voice, "The new dean already called and said you were coming home."

"He did what!" I shouted, "Now I really need that pendant." As if on que my cellphone began to ring. It was my parents. "You take it." I tossed my phone to Alvina.

Alvina looked at me incredulously, "What do you want me to say?"

"Say we are..." I needed to think fast. What is something they would approve of? "Say we are studying, and I stepped out to the bathroom." That should work right? "Zephyr you need to move away from there. My dad can't see any guys in the background."

"Why?" He asked.

I didn't have time to explain. They where calling. I couldn't decline it. They would get angry and I would have to stay with them for a week, "Just do it!"

"Okay. Jeez." He crouched down as Alvina picked up the phone.

She showcased her most bedazzling smile, "Hello Twyla's dad." She waved at the phone.