Perfect In My Imperfection

Writer: shesjoyfulj

Reviewed by admin stehllaN

Cover

Description

Description

"We are not perfect doesn't mean we don't matter". Dive into the world of a teenager who is on a quest to fit in and tries her best to overcome challenging situations.

Genre

Teen fiction

Review

Number of chapters reviewed- six, excluding the prologue.

Book title:  5🌟
Book cover:  2🌟
Book description: 3🌟
Book genre: 3🌟
Writing style: 3.5🌟
Grammatical accuracy; 3🌟
Addictiveness: 3🌟
Overall rating: 3🌟

Book title

The title is very well suited for the book. The book is about a teenage girl who is imperfect because she has her amputated arm replaced with a bionic one. The title not only portrays the book's story in a spot light but also manages to captivate the interest of the reader.

Book cover

The cover is not relating to the personality of the main character at all. The girl in the image looks sad, broken and secluded from everything else— considering how dark the background is. June is vibrant and strong and capable of tackling challenges.
Secondly, where's the imperfection? Where's the perfection in her?. She's too blurred. Also, that cover is downright plain and boring.

Book description

The description wasn't narrative enough. We'd like to know more about this teenage girl to spike our interest and make us want to dive in. Quite frankly, I wasn't impressed by the description. There were no emotions, no drive, and these are the kinds of things expected of a book description. There was barely enough information about the book and what to expect. A description should capture the important aspects of the book. Those 'aha' moments that make the reader hungry for more. A description doesn't have to be very long or essay like to be interesting. It can be a simple and straightforward sentence or two that holds enough emotion that the reader would be too curious to ignore.

Example

Grace loved to stay indoors.❌

Grace is a lonely girl who loved to stay indoors.✔️

Those sentences portray almost the same meaning but we can all tell that the second one is capable of moving it's reader more than the first.

Example

"We are not perfect doesn't mean we don't matter"

June is a teenager, an imperfect one. At a young age, she lost her arm as a result of her father's negligence and highly irresponsible tactics in handling situations.

You'd think having your normal human arm replaced by a much cooler and superhero like one, the bionic arm, would make you adored- possibly like those women in capes but maybe June just had hard luck because that wasn't the case for her.

Everyone and everything around her seemed to be shoving it in her face— how much different she was and how imperfect she had become. June wouldn't back down though, she wasn't the type, hardly, she'd prove to them how perfect her imperfection made her.

I tried to include the terms you used while writing the book. You don't necessarily have to use this. In fact, I'd advice you write it yourself because you know the book better than anyone else. You feel it better than anyone else so you'll definitely write it better than anyone else.

Book genre

I feel the book will fit better into the young adult or chicklit genre.

Writing style

You've got talent, that's for sure. You need a few adjustments to your book plotting and sentence construction but aside from that, you are good.

Areas I noted down

* You kept going back and forth between the use of the past and present tense. I suggest you stick to the past tense as it is easier and more consistent to follow.

*Too much is happening too fast and just in one paragraph too. Slow down and take your time to explain the story. We need details about each character and each scene. Everything is too rushed.

Grammatical accuracy

You barely had any errors in grammar. A few which I left inline comments for their corrections. You should avoid using too many words when one word can be used to replace it. E.g cut off her arm.  Amputate the arm is way better and it also shows your skills in vocabulary.

Addictiveness

quick note: You are probably wondering. Yes addictiveness is a word.

I personally love books that are very explicit with tenaciously nerve-racking cliff hangers. I get addicted to those faster than those drug addicts get addicted to pills. My interests may be different from the next persons which is why you cant rely on just one review when it comes to this category. I wasn't really addicted to your book. Everything was just happening too fast and the scenes weren't well narrated.

Overall rating; 3⭐

Never mind my strict review, this is a book I'ld recommend. The writer had talent and if she's willing to put in the effort, she can use that talent to become a star.

shesjoyfulj this is your review. Please leave your comments, questions and at least five tags here.