Past II

She never got the chance to kiss him and eventually beautiful things end. Rey could remember the exact day that her life seemed to come crashing down.

He wasn't there one morning, wasn't sitting in their spot waiting for her with a warm smile and a hug like he usually was. She didn't worry too much. She knew he had been to see his father the night before and she knew their relationship was strained.

Then he wasn't in class. Her mind began to swirl around little worries and fears like a slow building hurricane. She tried to concentrate. She tried to push the feeling of dread, that was bubbling up, down. Her eyes almost never left the door.

Where is he?

The relief that washed over her when she saw him standing in their spot after class was like a drug. She could feel her breathing steady... until she realized.

Something was wrong.

He wouldn't look at her. He stared at the ground. His eyes were bloodshot. He had either been crying or he was up all night.

"Ben? Are you ok?" She reached for him and he flinched away.

"Don't, I'm poison."

"What? No you aren't! What's wrong?"

"I'm leaving."

"Ben... what do you mean what are you saying?"

"Rey I'm leaving. I'm sorry."

After that he brushed past her. He didn't stop when she called his name.

He didn't even look back.

Days morphed into a week. And that's when she saw the article.

"Family shattered. Han Solo dead."

Ben's father was dead. A car crash had killed him. His truck was found at the bottom of a revine. It was raining and he had lost control. Rey cried herself to sleep that night. She knew Ben and his father were just beginning to fix their relationship. They had just started speaking again. Ben loved his father but they were stubborn and she had finally convinced him not to lose Han. They had even planned a father son trip after the year was over.

Now that would never happen.

The funeral was beautiful. Friends and family came from everywhere. Rey stood in the back, her face hidden beneath her ball cap...the one she had taken from Ben. She didn't know anyone and she was sure she didn't belong.

He wasn't there.

He missed his own father's funeral and no one seemed to notice. No one spoke to her either. They didn't know her, why would they? It wasn't until his mother walked over just as they lowered Han into the ground, that she spoke at all.

Rey had thrown two white roses on to the casket, one for her, and one for Ben. It was the least she could do. When she turned around his mother was standing there. Her eyes were tired but she smiled warmly and reached out her arms to hug Rey.

She had only met Leia Organa a few times. Ben had taken her to his house once or twice for dinner. His mother was so sweet. She had even thanked Rey for finally getting her anti social son to date.

"I'm so happy for you two. You're so cute together."

"Oh," Rey didn't know what to say. She had only dreamt that they were together. "Well we're not a couple."

"Hmm, well, I'll have to knock some sense into that boy."

Leia was a strong and loving woman. The kind of woman Rey had wished was her mother, the kind of woman she hoped secretly would be part of her family one day.

"Rey, thank you for coming. It means a lot to me and I know it would mean a lot to Ben."

"I'm so sorry for your loss, I..." she choked out as she tried to hide her tears as the mention of his name.

"Oh, dear, I didn't mean to upset you." Leia pulled her into her embrace again. Here on the day of her husband's funeral Leia Organa was comforting her.

"Where is he?" Rey whispered, almost hoping the older woman didn't hear her.

"He joined the marines. It was too much for him...he was in the car."

"What?!" Rey pulled back in shock. What did Leia mean?

"Sweet Rey, you are like the daughter I never had. I wish things were different." She smiled but Rey could see the sadness in her eyes. "Ben was in the car with his father." She continued "they were going too fast, Ben tried to save him." Leia smiled weakly. "He joined the marines the next day. Han wanted him to make something of himself and I guess he thought that was it.

"Leia I...I'm so sorry." Rey choked out. She must have been in so much pain.

"Thank you." Leia hugged her again and stepped back. "And truly, thank you for coming." Rey nodded as someone approached Leia from behind. She turned to speak to them and Rey disappeared into the crowd.

Oh Ben I wish you had told me.

Weeks passed, and they slowly turned into months, then years.

Rey didn't see Ben again.