the ducks

i stared at my blank dorm room walls, getting ready to redecorate. my taste had evolved over the summer, and i was ready for a change.

i went to pin up a new poster i had bought, when i heard a knock at my door.

i knit my brows, knowing i didn't have a roommate. unless the varsity team had miraculously let another girl onto the team, which is something i hadn't thought to be plausible.

i had made it by the skin of my teeth, and had to be better than every boy just to get in. so, i was sure this couldn't have been my roommate.

i turned around to see my only friend on the team, scooter holland.

i smiled, glad to see his face,"hey, scooter."

i hopped off my bed and he jogged over, enveloping me in a hug. he was the only one on the team that i could stand, and with that being the case, we became pretty close friends.

i was still civil with the rest of the team, pretending to like them as much as i liked scooter, but that was simple for survival purposes.

"hey, sawyer, it's good to see you again." he replied, pulling back, but keeping his hands around my waist.

"you too," i answered, before deciding to question his motives,"what brings you here?"

he sighed, hanging his head,"riley wants us to do something."

i rolled my eyes, removing myself from his touch and crossing my arms over my chest,"of course. what is it this time?"

he was always sending scooter and i to do his bidding. i wasn't sure why he decided we were his whipping boys, and when i told him i found it the least bit sexist that the only girl on the team just so happened to be his bitch, he simply ignored me.

"the ducks press conference is today," scooter stared, causing me to flop onto my bed in a huff,"he wants us to go watch."

i let out a frustrated sigh, knowing i didn't have a choice in the matter. if i was in control of my own fate, i would have left varsity a long time ago and forgotten all their names.

"where is it?" i questioned, standing up to find my shoes.

"just outside." he answered, walking over to hang my poster for me, while i tied my shoes.

i nodded, glancing at the clock that hung above my bed,"okay, but i can't stay long, i have to get to work."

my parents barely made ends meet at my house, so in order to make things easier for them, i got a job at hans' skate shop, a local hockey gear store that wasn't too far away.

living at my school, and having a full scholarship, plus the job, made me one less mouth to feed, which my parents desperately needed.

"i'll drive you." he offered as i stood up, adjusting my sweater.

"thanks." i smiled flatly, before walking out of the room with him.

"course," he nudged me playfully, trying to make me less upset,"so what do you know about the ducks?"

i chuckled, shaking my head,"i know more about the prison industrial complex than i know about the ducks."

it was safe to say that i knew almost nothing about the ducks. i had gone to school with a few of them a really long time ago, but when i skipped a grade, i never saw any of them again.

he laughed,"i'm serious, riley wants to know everything. you're their age, you've gotta know something."

i pursed my lips, trying my hardest to think as we made our way to the exit.