"Don't Tell"

All around me I see students rushing in and greeting each other as I sit in my dad's car. "It's quite a gift for the Roach family to pay to send you here" he said as he also sighs. I look into his eyes. He looked tired. But, then again he was always tired. I guess from working all the time.

"But who's gonna take care if you?" My voice stings with worry.

"Listen, don't worry about me." He started. "With the education you're gonna get here, you can go to any college you want."

I think about it. "Maybe." I wasn't so sure of myself. I then glance out the front window and look at all of the other students.

"These students though. They're different from us. Probably all go to the same island for vacation. Ski the same mountain in the wintertime." I nod in agreement. He looks at me "You might not have as much in common at first with them."

"You're an expert on boarding school now?" I point out. "No, but your mom went here and she told me what it was like, you know" he replied. He looks off in the distance as I still look through the front window. I don't say anything for a second. "Hey, you listen to me sweetheart. You just use that big brain of yours, huh? And you're gonna be just fine."

I look down at the tiny bird figurine. My dad looks down at it and touch the bird.  "Protect him, he's Mom's favorite." Seconds later my dad straightens up, "Alright, let's get you in there."

"No, it's fine Dad. I got it." I said as I grab my backpack and pull the door handle to step out the car. Once I get out the car I sling the backpack on my back. Trying to avoid looking at the school, I walk to the trunk of the car and open it. I pull out two old suitcases.

When I hear the roar of the engine, I turn around and watch as it was out of sight.

I finally turn to look at the school. I see a huge red and white-brick cottage themed building with a lot of statues, gardens, and fountains surrounding it. I take a deep breath. This is a fresh start to a new life. And I know my mother will be proud.

I walk straight into the school looking at how pretty it is. The room was already crowded with people. After I look around and see a group of girls dancing. They're doing pretty good. I then put my bags down. I follow their every move.

As the dance stopped, a voice beckoned to everyone to from the other end of the room. "Gather 'round." Me and all of the other girls move in front of a woman with dark skin and her hair pulled into an elegant bun. She must be in charge here I think to myself. "I'd like to give you a warm welcome to Crown Lake Academy" a smile plasters on her face.

"Here—." I interrupt her. "Are you Miss Merriwether?" The smile remains on her face as she gazes at me looking slightly irritated.

"Headmistress Merriwether?" She corrected with an authoritative tone. Her gaze stays on me and I look away. "And you should have been here 5 minutes ago." She then turn her gaze to the rest of the girls. I mumbled to myself a little to loud. "I'm not that late." Her head turns back to my direction.

She takes several steps before being inches apart from my face. "Your Eleanor Chambers, yes?" Her smile was gone and I get a little frightened. I nod my head.  She glares at me for a second more and walked away finishing her speech. "Later today, you will tour the riding stables and on the other side of that forest beyond the lake, is your brother's school."

Getting bored I look to the girl beside me. She was a bit taller then me and wore large heart earrings and hair pulled in a ponytail with a scrunchie. "Where were you before this? Public school?"

"At another boarding school — Switzerland." She looks directly in my eyes when she answers." She turns her head back to the headmistress. "At 5pm sharp, there is a welcome service in the chapel followed by your meet-and-greet in the grubber."