Chapter 4

Third Person POV

"Are you sure about this, Denki?" Pansy asked.

It was around 6 and Shinsou, Awase, and Hatsume were about to come over to Kaminari's for dinner. Kaminari breathed and closed the game he had been playing. Instead, he went to his photo album. 

DON'T OPEN

He sighed and hesitated before finally making his choice and clicking on the folder. Memories poured through the screen to his head. Memories that he had kept stowed away for so long. Wishing to forget.

"They're not like that," Kaminari said softly. Clicking on a peculiar picture. The first one in the entire folder.

"They won't end up like her..."

The picture was of a young Kaminari and another girl. She had brown hair and her eyes were closed. They were both laughing. The type of laughing that makes your cheeks hurt, your eyes water, and want to keep laughing forever.

They were five in the photo. Their parents had taken the picture. They were playing in the sandbox, clumps of sand were scattered in and around the box. The two were sitting smack dab in the center of the entire mess. Both covered head to toe in the grainy sand. But, it didn't dampen their mood.

Her name was Emiko Nomura. Emi for short.

She was Kaminari's best friend. 

She was his number one.

And he was hers.

They were childhood friends. Known each other since they could talk. They were basically brother and sister. It was great. Happy. Fun.

But, of course, nothing ever stays the same.

She died.

She died because of him.

It was an accident. 

They were around 8. Kaminari and Emiko were both playing on the playground. The one with that very sandbox. They were playing tag. Somehow, they had both wandered away from their parents. Kaminari was chasing Emiko playfully. They were both giggling and laughing. But then it all went wrong.

Flashback

"I'm gonna catch you!" Kaminari yelled. Emiko just laughed and turned around, just to blow a raspberry in his face. Kaminari gasped playfully and stopped running to put a fist over his heart.

"You wound me." He fell to his knees and faceplanted. Emiko giggled and ran back towards Kaminari.

"Oh mighty prince, you shall not die. I have come to rescue you!" She ran to his side and flipped him over. He let his tongue fall out of his mouth.

"Bleh..." Emiko stifled a laugh and smacked his arm gently.

"Ow," Kaminari whined. "You aren't supposed to hit the dead man." He pouted.

"And dead men aren't supposed to talk." She teased. 

"Since when were you this smart?" Kaminari wondered getting up. 

"You're just dumb." She smirked. Kaminari stuck his tounge out.

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"See," Emiko rolled her eyes. " This is what makes you dumb." Kmainari quirked a brow.

"What do you mean?" He asked, plopping back down.

"Well," Emiko tucked a loose strand of her brown hair behind her ear. "You could've been the bigger person and ignored my comment." Kaminari's brows furred together.