A Hiccupy Situation

I do not own How To Train Your Dragon. All rights remain with DreamWorks and Cressida Cowell.

It was a rather quite night at the Haddock house, much to Hiccup's surprise. Hiccup Haddock, tall and lanky with auburn hair and emerald green eyes, was sitting idly on a couch in his house on a Saturday night, sipping water from a cup and going through his phone.

Hiccup works pretty hard as an engineer so he tries to relax a bit during the weekend, which was mostly impossible because having a four year old in the house is very fun but equally tiring.
He still couldn't believe that he was married to Astrid Hofferson  and  have a four year old!

He liked Astrid ever since Elementary School and had asked her out on Graduation day. They got married four years later and their wedding was quite an interesting one with a runaway chicken and something about someone getting hit on the head with a baseball bat. The twins, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, swore they had nothing to do about it but Hiccup knew otherwise.

"DADDY!"

A  voice yelled from the  stairs. Zephyr came running down the stairs in a denim skirt and a yellow top.

"Princess why aren't you in your pajamas yet?"

"I was going to Dad! But Mommy's making weird noises." she said.

"What do you mean?" Hiccup said with a worried look.

"I don't know, its weird." she said making a face.

"Alright," he said placing the cup on the coffee table table by the couch and picked his daughter up "lets go check on Mommy."

As he was going up the stairs, into the room he and his wife shared, he heard his name being called, well kind of.

"HICC-hic-UP!" Astrid yelled from inside the room. She was sitting on the bed, in her pj's, behind her laptop, probably doing work. "Um everything alright Milady?"
"No. Everything is n-hic-ot alright."

"See dad!" Zephyr said pointing at her Mommy

"Mommy's making the noise."

"Zephyr, Mommy just got the hiccups" Hiccup explained with a smile.

"Hiccup? But that's Daddy's name." Zephyr said with a confused look.

Astrid laughed out loud at her statement but her laughter got interrupted with yet another hiccup. "Mommy are you gonna make the sounds forever?" she asked extending her arms.

"No baby not forever. Its gonna go away in the morning. I-hic- hope. UGHHHH" she said in annoyance.

"How is she making that noise? Daddy is it magic?" she said as she looked at Hiccup with wide eyes.

"Um not really baby. You see,  hiccups are caused by involuntary contraction of your diaphragm. Its actually quite interesting. I'm no doctor but the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen plays an important role in breathing. This involuntary contraction causes your vocal cords to close very briefly, which produces the characteristic sound of a hiccup."

Astrid's palm contacted her forehead with a audible slap.

His baby looked at him with a clearly puzzled face.

"So its magic?" she asked again, titling her head to one side.

Hiccup sighed giving up on making his daughter understand how hiccups work.