Chapter 34: Pain and Guilt

You punched the bag of sand in front of you harshly, grabbing it to stop it from moving. You pressed your forehead to the cold leather, breathing heavily. It had been a week since you had gotten out of the hospital, but you were not about to let your injury stop you from training. Besides, punching things took your mind off of what was going on in your life at the moment. You sighed, hiding your (e/c) eyes behind your lids for a moment. "You alright over there, champ?" You turned your head to Mr. Smiley, who was sitting in a metal chair a little ways away. You gave him a small smile, nodding your head.
    "Yeah. I was just taking a breather." He nodded once, grunting as he adjusted the magazine in his hand. "Shouldn't you be at the amusement park", you asked, jabbing the bag again. It swayed from the force of your punch, the metal chains holding it up squeaking.
    "I should. But I would rather stay back here and keep an eye on you", he said quietly, flipping a page. You chuckled, continuing your assault on the punching bag.
    "I'm not a child, Mr. Smiley."
    "To me you are. How is that brace treating you?" You shrugged, putting your hands on the bag to stop it again.
    "Great, actually", you replied, walking over to your water bottle you had placed on the floor by his feet. He handed it to you before you could grab it, and you blushed softly, mumbling a quiet thank you. Mr. Smiley had given you the back brace the day you started training again. It restrained your movement enough so that you would not reopen your stitches, but it did not deter you from giving your all while boxing. He would not let you train without it. You drank from the bottle, exhaling as you wiped your forehead.
    "I'm glad", the older man replied, smiling at you. "Had enough for today?" You giggled, twisting the cap back onto the plastic container.
    "Yeah. It is getting pretty late."
    "Let me walk you out", Mr. Smiley said, standing to his feet to grab your bag for you.
    "You don't have to."
    "But I'm going to", he said with a chuckle, resting his hand on your back as you walked out of the double doors. "Make sure to put some ice on your hands too since you decided not to use gloves today." You nodded, blushing softly as your trainer handed you your bag at the arcade entrance. "Take care of yourself", he said, patting your cheek. You began walking down the boardwalk, feeling Mr. Smiley's eyes on you until you were about halfway down. You turned around, seeing that he was no longer by the door anymore. You faced forward again, watching your feet as they shuffled across the wooden path. You were grateful for your friends and everything, but you were starting to feel guilty. The emotion twisted your insides into knots, making you feel nervous almost all the time. Not to mention my anxiety now... Steven and Garnet had taken to feeding Storm when you were at work or training. Amethyst came over almost every morning and night to make sure you used your medicine. Sometimes Pearl would join her and even walk you to the bookstore along with the quartz. Even Lion would check on you now and again. You felt as if you were a burden; a chore. Something they felt they needed to do. You clenched your teeth, feeling your jaw flex from the action. So embarrassing. You stuck your key into the lock on your front door, pushing the slab open.
    "I'm home", you muttered, closing the door behind you. The living room was completely dark, the only light source being the moonlight shining through the screen door. It was deathly quiet. Something you were not used to yet. You tossed your bag onto the couch and then put your keys on the hook before traveling upstairs. You flicked your bedroom light on, smiling softly at the sleeping cat at the foot of your bed. Her tail was wrapped securely around her, the soft sound of her breathing reaching your ears. You took off the brace Mr. Smiley lent to you, throwing it in the closet. You then glided your hand over Storm's ears and back, waking her up. She looked up at you tiredly before meowing, hopping in your lap. "Hi, baby..." She purred as you pet her, rolling over onto her back. "Did Garnet feed you today", you asked softly, scratching her stomach. She meowed in response, and you chuckled lying back on your bed. Storm climbed off of you, walking across the bed so that you were face to face. She pressed her cold nose to yours, staring back at you with her seafoam green eyes. She then licked you, making you giggle. You wiped your face, standing up again. "I'm going to shower", you stated, stretching. You then went over to your dresser, taking out clean underclothes before heading into the bathroom.