05

S O P H I A | teen romance movie

My alarm rang loudly at 6 am, I reached my arm out to turn it off and knocked my phone off my vanity. I'm covered in sweat from nightmares. I've been having them again. Silent ones but they're still there.

No, I can't think about that right now. It's the first day of school and I can't focus on that. I have to shake it off and move on.

I trip over my sheets getting out of bed and fall over on my face. That is a clear sign that school has officially started. These are my end of summer blues, when I am a clumsy, fumbling mess.

Ugh, here we go again. I look at myself in the mirror. Running my messy hair in between my fingers. A lot has changed. I'm not the same girl I was four months ago when junior year ended, but I still have the same old boring routine.

I get up out of bed reluctantly and go downstairs into the kitchen to find Paige sitting at the table eating a bowl of cereal. She looks up from her phone, beaming at me.

"Hey Soph, are you ready for senior year at your new school." She exclaims, clearly more excited then I am.

"Oh I don't know how about you?" I responded and opened the fridge. She nods excitedly.

It's a new school year and I know nobody, and nobody knows me. I'm really nervous and I want to make a good first impression. I don't want to be the basket case that showed up out of nowhere. I try some of the breathing exercises that I learned from many months of therapy. It seems to make a little difference. Paige snaps me out of my thoughts by asking what time I have to leave.

"I think I should leave at 7:45 because I have to get there at 8:00, school starts at 8:30 today." I say as I take out a bowl and put yogurt and granola in it.

"Let me guess, Liam is still asleep." She asks and rolls her eyes.

"Nope, good morning sisters." A very exhausted Liam says and he walks down the stairs. His dark brown hair is in his eyes.

Liam already has a school book in his hands. I scoff at his nerdiness. They both seem to be doing somewhat okay. Paige says she is loving California.

She applied to audition for the San Francisco Ballet last week. Liam and I just want her to be happy but I don't know if she is happy here. Though she would never express that feeling to our faces.

Liam pats me on the back. "Morning," I say as I get up to get ready. I'm too tired to engage in a conversation with my siblings today. I just feel fucked up right now.

I hear him ask Paige in the distance, "What's wrong with her?" I roll my eyes. I go into my room and immediately disappear into my closet trying to figure out what to wear.

After many minutes passed by of comparing shirts, pants, dresses, and skirts. I settled for a black crop top, a white zebra print skirt, and a black zip up hoodie.

I put on some makeup. Natural and subtle, my nails tap my eyelashes upwards once I've applied mascara.

I curl my long light brown hair and brush them out. I put on a white headband. I grab some hoop earrings and walk downstairs.

I check my phone and it is 7:30. I knock on Liam's door to remind him that we need to go in 15 minutes, but I can hear him sighing from the other side of the door.

He has to drive Paige and I to school. I got my license last year but my parents had it suspended. Long story. Really long story

Before leaving I put on a pair of white high tops. Once we were all ready to go, we get into Liam's black BMW.