2) Just Like Old Times

Saturday Afternoon (Jas' House)

"Cree! Cree! Credence Jones wake up!" Jas hollered in her Mom voice.

"Jas it's way too early." I grumbled.

"Cree it's literally three in the afternoon." Jas laughed.

"Exactly." I muttered while pulling the covers over my head.

"You're ridiculous." Jas responded in a tone of disapproval. "Get up we gatta start getting ready."

"Drew's party doesn't start till eight."

"Yeah but I told his Mum I'd come early to help set up." Jas explained.

"Ughh okay." I groaned as I stood to my feet.

As I made my way to the bathroom, my brain did that reboot thing where it remembers everything I tried to forget while I was asleep. While standing in the steamy shower, the words of Rian's letter replayed in my mind like a top ten song on the radio. Each time sending forceful waves of anxiety through my body. Again, I know it may sound like I'm just dramatic, but when something you think is going to last a long time ends in the blink of an eye, it messes you up. You can't tell what's real anymore, it's so hard to trust. So now I have no idea what to think of Rian's apology. Before all of this I would've believed him in a heartbeat, and now I just don't know.

My mini breakdown was interrupted by Leah banging on the door and yelling "Cree, hurry up!"

"Okayy!" I yelled back.

About two hours later we were all ready, and I'm not gonna lie, we were cute. Like you really couldn't name a finer trio. On the ride to the house I decided to tell the girls about Rian's letter.

"I don't know C, I mean he's already broken the trust. I just think you should be careful." Jas cautioned me "If you want I can ask Drew about it. He probably knows something."

"Nah that's okay. I'm not even sure if I wanna know yet." I told her.

"Well I think this might be good." Leah added from the backseat "Maybe you should hear him out, he might have a good explanation."

"Lee I really hope one day I'm as optimistic as you." I chuckled.

"Okay but like how could he possible explain that?" Jas laughed.

"Well... I mean... okay well I don't know, but that doesn't mean he won't." Leah defended "Just watch, It's gonna be some super crazy plot twist, and you're gonna fall in love and get married and give me nieces and nephews." Me and Jas looked at each other for a second then burst out laughing. "Fine, laugh now. Eventually I'll be right!" Leah pouted while crossing her arms.

"You're delusional Leah." Jas said while turning the corner.

Saturday Evening (The Harris' House)

We pulled up at the house about a quarter past six. Drew came outside to great us, we all hugged him and told him happy birthday. (Just incase you were wondering how Drew and Rian are in the same grade. They aren't twins, but they were born the same year. Rian was born in January and Drew in November.) We went inside the house to rest down our gifts. Drew and Rian's  mum (Ms. Harris) was working hard in the kitchen so Jas went to help her. Leah and I helped Drew set up the speakers and make a playlist.

"Where's Rian?" Leah queried.

"He went to pick up the cake." Drew responded.

The second he finished his sentence we heard a car pull up outside. I knew it was Rian's BMW. I tried to make my way to the bathroom so I could hide for a few more minutes, but Ms. Harris asked me to see if Rian needed help. She's such a sweet lady, I could never say no to her. I don't think she knows what happened between me and Ri, or maybe she does. She probably hasn't brought it up to avoid me feeling any worse than I already do. She's nice like that.