38

Vicky West

The following morning Harry, the boys, and his lawyers gathered at 8 am. This meant I had Harry's mansion to myself; giving me enough time to go through my closet. Even though I had plenty of hours left before he'd return home, I didn't want to get caught therefore I packed my belongings in haste.

I had spent quite some time on a list that consisted of all the names of the objects I had to bring. By doing this the night before, I was able to pack my suitcase on short notice.

While stuffing my clothes in the heavy case, adrenaline pumped through my body. The epinephrine showed up because I was doing something I had never thought I would do – not while being in a relationship with Harry.

As I added more and more, I ticked off what I had put in my suitcase. Seeing I was too immersed collecting what I needed the most, I had no time to reflect on the plan I was carrying out. There wasn't a moment I could question my actions; to ask myself if I wasn't making a huge mistake. However, I wasn't.

Finally, I was doing what I should've done months ago. Something I had been too reluctant about because I was overly frightened to lose him.

Later that day, when Harry arrived home, I felt strangely apprehensive. This entire day he had been engrossed in tomorrow's event while I had been working on keeping my plan hidden. By tomorrow afternoon, there'd be no trace of me left in his mansion.

The night before Harry was obliged to be present in court, we were watching a movie in the living room. This was the first time, in a long time, we were hanging out peacefully; not once did he feel obligated to blame me for something.

His head laid on my lap and I gently brushed my fingers through his hair. We didn't talk much before or during the movie, seeing we were both thinking about tomorrow – at least I was.

Even if I wanted to know how he was feeling, asking him how he was doing had caused a colossal slip-up a while back. For that matter, I was persistent to keep my mouth closed. I didn't want to increase the damage that had already been done.

But as the credit started to roll on the television screen, he was the one turning to me. There was a look in his electric green eyes I hadn't seen for months because of the ongoing fight with Ethan and William. His eyes were glistening while he and I stayed tight-lipped.

After months of tribulation, he showed me a piece of the old Harry and my heart began to ache. This man who had stolen my heart was about to face the biggest turning point in his life. And by the look on his face, he was paralyzed with fear.

"Vicky-" When he said my name his deep voice cracked at the end.

My arms wrapped around his neck protectively even if he hadn't asked for it. Thankfully, it didn't stop him from holding me, too.

We hadn't been this close since the moment it all went downhill, therefore making it incomprehensible to think about the last steps of my plan. While we were locked in each other's embrace, I tried to hold on to him for as long as I could to ensure I would remember what it was like to have him in my arms.

"I am sorry for everything I have put you through." Harry said through sobs.

"It's okay, Harry." I assured him with a broken heart.

His words triggered something in me; seeing that I almost wanted to share my game plan. But I stopped myself from doing so before it would be too late. I couldn't ruin my chances of a better life for the reason that I would never forgive myself.

"You do know I love you, right?" He spoke, sounding unremarkably fragile.

"I do, Harry. And I love you, too. Always and forever."