Prologue

(Primary Four)

    Mrs Onuoha took primary four on an excursion to the National Museum. I had never felt so intrigued before in my life as I scuffled around the big building with the rest of my classmates. I held onto the hand of Aaliyah Mustapha, my best friend.

  "Look around you but don't touch what you were not asked to touch. Okay?" Mrs Onuoha said sternly. She mostly faced the boys because they were too hyper and had the capability to trespass into places or touch some things.

  Aaliyah gasped as she looked at the painting of a particular black woman who looked like a goddess. She was inside the waters and had her two hands lifted up to the sky. The sun was  bright and beautiful and her skin shone brightly like she was made for the sun.

  "Wow!" We said at the same time and  opened our mouths. One of the boys, Olumide Toriola came to stand beside us and stared at the painting, studying it for some time before facing us and asking, "Do you know her?" We shook our head.

  I took my time to look around me. The paintings we're beautiful. There was one of a black girl and a white girl holding hands and playing together in a garden. Aaliyah later left my side to talk to our other classmates.

   "Adeniyi, what are you doing there? I thought I warned you children to stay by my side and not to touch anything?! Come back to your classmates now!" She shouted at me and I ran to where Aaliyah was.

   When I got home, my mother asked me if I enjoyed the excursion. I nodded excitedly, "Yes, yes. We saw many exciting things and we ended up in the beach like Mrs Onuoha promised!"

  Then Mum's stomach was big and round and she was expecting her second child. Daddy was mostly away in Abuja and though I love him, he always forced me to solve maths whenever he comes on holiday.

   As I opened my diary, I wrote in simple letters;

   I want to be an artist.

And that has been my dream ever since.

       Author's note

Hello lovelies. I have changed the prologue. I think this one is better and I hope you like it better. This is December and I'm so excited because this is my month!