eight

A ᴛʀᴇᴇ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇs ғᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡɪɴᴅ, ɴᴏᴛ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪᴛ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏs ɪᴛ, ʙᴜᴛ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪᴛ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋ

A new day in the arena where time seemed to run both quickly and slowly. This paradox sent me back to a feeling of insecurity that I hoped to control for a few more days.

"- I have absolutely no idea. And you, have you ever tasted the seaweed bread from my District?"

Alec and I had begun a discussion about typical District foods, trying to describe the exact taste to each other. Talking about food was certainly not an excellent idea given that the arena did not provide food in abundance and every outing to set traps was dangerous. Nevertheless, Alec decided to pursue the subject further by explaining to me that the grandmothers in his neighborhood used to collect unsold bread from the bakery on weekends and turn it into French toast. Alec said he loved it, despite its unsavory appearance, and even swore to me that I had to "absolutely taste it".

Conversations with Alec were light and sometimes disturbing. The finality was never mentioned, leaving us dreaming of a possible and potential future for one of the tributes. For one of us. It made me want to believe in a victory, and I wanted to believe in his possible victory. At least if it wasn't me, it would be him. We were promised to take care of each other's family if one of us was to be the winner of this umpteenth edition of the Games.

" - That's strange. The trap was set. "

Alec's voice called out to me and my eyes immediately sought the knot of the trap we had laid the day before. I was the one who had tied the trap around the roots of the bush, I knew I had done it correctly, but the strings were hanging softly on the ground. It didn't look good to me, on the contrary. I pushed back the bushes to inspect the knot before I finally understood when I saw the knot clearly sealed around the roots and the cut ends on the ground: sabotage.

" - 'Low, get down! "Alec shouted at me.

I had no time to think, I obeyed Alec's order and threw myself to the ground, almost trying to escape. I slid my head to the side, enough to see two figures run towards us.

" - Quickly, run. "

I leap to my feet as quickly as I can, one hand on the knife belt I was wearing all the time. Alec had his machete in hand, ready to defend himself.

" - Run, run. That excites me more! " shouted a male voice behind us.