An Announcement

The fencing instructor Mr. D'Argencourt made an announcement at the end of the day's lesson.

"We'll be holding our annual tryouts a few weeks from now. Once again we only have one opening for the team. If any of you know someone who is interested, please encourage them to tryout. Also, don't forget that this weekend's tournament will start at five sharp, so don't be late! That is all for today. You are dismissed."

The students made their way to the locker room. Adrien Agreste walked with Kagami Tsurugi, his... girlfriend? Well, not exactly girlfriend. A girl, who was his friend, who he was sorta dating? It wasn't really dating though. They just kind of hung out, and would go places together. But they didn't hold hands or kiss or anything like that. So they weren't like a real couple. Ugh, he didn't know how to describe it.

"Do you want to meet up sometime this week after school?" Kagami asked him as they walked to the locker room.

"Uh yeah, but I'll have to check with Nathalie to see what day I'm available" he replied.

"Great, I'm free everyday except Thursday. Marinette and I are meeting up at the juice bar that evening."

Marinette Dupain-Cheng, one of his closest friends. She was so sweet and kind. Not to mention beautiful, with her raven hair and blue eyes.

Marinette. Maybe she would want to tryout for the team. She did last year, but lost the spot to Kagami. He would have to...

"Adrien?" Kagami asked, interrupting his thoughts.

"Sorry Kagami, what were you saying?"

"I was saying that you should let me know when you figure out your schedule."

"Of course. I will" he told her.

"Alright, well I'll talk to you then" she said, heading off to the girl's bathroom.

"Bye" Adrien said before going in the opposite direction.

He had to remember to ask Nathalie about his schedule. To see which day they could go on their date. Actually no, not a date. A meeting of two friends? No, that sounded crazy. Adrien sighed. Why was this so complicated?

************************************

When Adrien saw Marinette the next day at school he thought back to last year's fencing tryouts.

She definitely would have made the team if Kagami hadn't shown up. Her reflexes were amazing. And she had never even fenced before. The way she held herself, anyone would think that she already a part of the team. She was a natural.

He caught up with her outside after school. "Hey Marinette" he said, running over.

"Oh, uh... hi Adrien" she said, blushing.

"I wanted to talk to you about something."

Her eyes widened. "Y... you want to t... talk to me?"

"Yeah of course" he replied, smiling. Could she get any cuter?

"Uh okay" she said, smiling back at him.

She's so beautiful. And amazing. And what a great body she's got. She'd probably look incredible in a fencing uniform...

"Adrien?" she asked.

"Oh sorry" he said, coming back to reality. "I wanted to tell you that my fencing team is having tryouts again in a few weeks. You know, in case you're interested in trying out."

"Oh" Marinette said, surprised. "I um... I don't know. I'm not really that good. And I've been kind of busy lately..."

"I think you should" Adrien interrupted. "I mean, you were so wonderful last year."

Her face blushed deeper. "You... you really think so?"

"Yeah you were amazing!" he gushed before he could stop himself. Then he watched Marinette look down at her feet as his own face turned red.

For a moment no one spoke.

"Maybe I will try out" she finally said.

Adrien smiled. "I really think you should."

She looked back up at him and returned the smile. "Okay. Well maybe I should ask Kagami to give me a couple of lessons before the tryouts. You know, to help me get ready."

"Oh well, I..." he sputtered out. "I mean, I could always give you some lessons... if you'd like."

Marinette's face dropped. "Oh, yeah of course. I mean, I know that you're really really good. But I figured... you're always so busy. I just assumed that you wouldn't be available..."

"No, I could do it" Adrien said, putting a hand to the back of his neck.

She nodded. "Uh yeah. Yeah, that would be great. Thanks."

"We're actually having a tournament this Saturday if you want to come and watch. You could even come early and I could give you a lesson before it starts."

"Really?" she asked, her face lighting up. Her eyes were sparkling.

Suddenly he felt like he couldn't breathe. All he could do was nod his head in reply.

"That would be great."

Adrien nodded again.

"So, what time should I be there on Saturday?" Marinette asked.

"Four o'clock should be good. The tournament starts at five, so that will give us an hour." Give us an hour.

"Okay, that works. So, will Kagami be in the tournament too?"

"Yes she will" he replied.

"Will you two have to go up against each other?"

"I don't know" he said, shrugging. "Maybe. It depends on who wins each round."

"Wow, that must be tough" Marinette said. "To have to go against someone you love."

Adrien's heart sank. He wasn't in love with Kagami. Why did Marinette think that he was? Did everyone think that?

"Oh... uh..." he tried to think of something to say, but was interrupted.

"Hey guys" Luka said, coming up to them.

Luka Couffaine, Marinette's... um, boyfriend? Wait, were they actually going out?

"Hey Luka, what are you doing here?" Marinette asked, surprised to see him.

"I wanted to catch you before you left school. I was hoping that I could walk you home" he told her.

Walk her home? Marinette literally lives down the street. It takes two minutes for her to get home.

"That's so sweet of you" Marinette said, smiling at Luka. She looked back at Adrien. "Thanks again for your help. I'll see you tomorrow."

Adrien said goodbye and watched them as they left.

What exactly was going on with those two? Now that he thought of it, he never saw them holding hands or kissing either. Luka obviously liked her. And wasn't she in love with him?

Actually, Marinette never said that. Adrien just assumed that she was because they were always hanging out with each other.

Were they in the same type of relationship as him and Kagami? Luka definitely seemed like he wanted a romantic relationship with Marinette, just like Kagami wanted with him.

But he wasn't in love with Kagami. And maybe, just maybe, Marinette wasn't in love with Luka either.