A Trade

Chat Noir felt his heart stop. It couldn't be true. Marinette couldn't be Ladybug. That was impossible.

"I'm sorry" Marinette continued. "I'm sorry I won't be able to fight next to you this time."

He shook his head in disbelief. "You can't be Ladybug" he said, pleading with her.

"I'm sorry" she repeated. "This probably isn't the reveal you were hoping for."

All he could do was shake his head as the tears started falling again.

"Tikki" Marinette called out.

The red and black kwami appeared and hugged her cheek. "Oh Marinette" she said sadly.

Chat Noir closed his eyes. She really was Ladybug. All this time she had been right in front of him.

"It's okay Tikki" Marinette continued. "Everything is going to be fine. We're just going to need Mister Bug."

Chat Noir opened his eyes. "What are you talking about?" he asked.

"You need to take my earrings so you can capture the akuma."

"No" he said firmly.

"I need you to" Marinette said. "If I transform now, I'll still be injured and I won't be able to fight. I need you to transform into Mister Bug. Use the Lucky Charm, capture the akuma, and then the miraculous ladybugs will heal me."

"But... I can't leave you" he said, brushing her hair back from her face.

Marinette was silent for a moment. "Give me your ring" she finally said. "Plagg will stay with me until you get back."

Chat Noir paused for a second, then nodded. "Claws in."

Marinette quickly shut her eyes as he detransformed.

Adrien tilted his head slightly when he noticed that she wasn't looking at him. "Please open your eyes Marinette."

She gave him a weak smile but kept her eyes closed. "We've already had enough surprises for one day. I don't think my heart can handle any more right now."

He wanted to convince her otherwise, but they didn't have the time. He slid his ring off and placed it in Marinette's hand. Then he reached over and removed her earrings before putting them on himself. He looked over at Tikki, who nodded at him. "Tikki, spots on." After transforming he spoke again. "All set" he said, putting his hand back to her face.

Marinette opened her eyes and smiled when she saw him. "It's nice to see you again Mister Bug."

"Hey, what about me?" Plagg whined, floating up next to her.

"It's nice to see you too Plagg. You know I missed you" she said.

The kwami flew over and hugged her cheek. "I missed you too Marinette."

Mister Bug stared at her. She wasn't looking well. Her face was getting pale.

She looked over at him. "It's time for you to go" she said softly.

He nodded. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I know."

With that, Mister Bug stood up and ran to the exit.

************************************

He flew across the rooftops awkwardly with his yo-yo. After all, he was used to his staff, which was completely different. But he couldn't let it slow him down. Marinette was counting on him.

Mister Bug found Riposte two blocks away. It seemed like she was on the way to his house.

Anger overtook him when he saw her again. She's the one who was responsible for what happened to Marinette.

But no, it wasn't really Riposte's fault. It was Hawk Moth. He preyed on Kagami's emotions and turned her into a monster.

Mister Bug needed to collect himself, he had to be smart about this. Ladyb... Marinette wasn't there to think up a plan and tell him what to do. He was all on his own.

"Lucky Charm" he called out, throwing his yo-yo into the air. A red and black spotted teddy bear fell into his hands. "Okay..." he said slowly.

************************************

Back in the fencing hall, Marinette lay where Mister Bug left her. Plagg was watching over her and was getting very concerned.

Her breathing was becoming shallow and her lips were turning blue.

"How are you feeling Marinette?" the kwami asked her, putting his hand up against her forehead. She was sweating profusely.

"I'm okay" she lied.

"I don't know, you don't seem 'okay' to me."

"Maybe a little worse than okay" she admitted. "But it doesn't matter, Mister Bug will capture the akuma real soon and then I'll be back to normal."

"But he's never done that on his own before" Plagg said quietly.

"There's no doubt in my mind that he can do it." She paused for a second to catch her breath. "It'll be any minute now."

Plagg looked at her skeptically but didn't say anything.

Marinette slowly closed her eyes.

"No no no, you can't fall asleep Marinette" Plagg told her.

"I know, I'm just a little dizzy. I won't fall asleep, I promise."

Now he was really worried. He had half a mind to fly off and find Mister Bug to help him and speed things up, but he couldn't leave Marinette alone. So he snuggled in against her.

They lay there for a minute. Then a cluster of ladybugs came flying in and swarmed around Marinette's torso.

She smiled, keeping her eyes closed. "Great job Kitty" she sighed.

Within seconds all the pain was gone. Marinette opened her eyes and sat up. "I told you so" she sing-songed to Plagg.

************************************

As soon as Mister Bug threw the teddy bear up into the air, Riposte faded away and Kagami appeared again. She blinked a few times, looking around. Her eyes landed on the superhero. "Wh... what happened?" she asked.

"You were akumatized. Are you alright?" he asked, offering out his hand.

She grabbed his hand and stood up. "Yes, I think so."

Mister Bug's earrings beeped, warning him that he only had two more minutes before he would detransform. He needed to get to Marinette. "I'm sorry but I have to leave. Are you okay getting back by yourself?"

Kagami nodded at him. "I'll be fine."

He nodded and quickly flew off with his yo-yo.