Chapter Thirteen: Sokka's Situation

a/n: this chapter is all Sokka, fyi. Think of it as like, an independent chapter. The next will be all Zuko.

***

Sokka:

It's been a couple days since Zuko dropped the Boiling Rock bombshell (not to be dramatic,) and since then... well, I have extremely mixed feelings. Katara would make a list of all my different thoughts, so that's what I'll do.

Number One: I want to go to Boiling Rock. I really do. For two reasons... um...

Number One part A: My friends! The soccer team, who I all love, and Suki, of course. Suki's loads of fun. I would love to be able to hang out with the soccer team for an entire weekend, team bonding and whatnot.

Number One part B: Zuko, obviously. Maybe we could even be roommates... it'd be like the ultimate date, only safe from the suspicions of Azula and Katara because it's school-sanctioned.

Number Two: I'm a pretty bomb skier. I mean, there's not a whole lot of things to do in the South Pole, and most of them involved the snow. You don't just grow up in a snowy tundra for most your life and not learn all the effective means of transportation: snowmobiling, snowboarding, snowshoeing, sledding, ice skating, you name it, Katara and I have done it.

Number Three: Unfortunately, Boiling Rock isn't going to happen, because it costs 3 grand. Zuko definitely sugarcoated the "up north" bit, it's at least a five hour bus ride, and all the kids here are so rich the busses themselves are probably five-star resorts.

Which leads me to where I am right now, whining on Suki's shoulder after practice got out. We're sitting on the bleachers as the other exhausted, muddy teammates leave, the sky giving a little drizzle as if the weather itself can sense how miserable I am. At least someone can. Suki seems quite indifferent.

"Sokka, that does sound like quite a dilemma-"

"Oh you have no idea!" I gasp. "I cannot afford that!"

"Then don't go," she advises flatly, pulling out a handheld mirror to check up her flawless eyeliner. How she can absolutely destroy the entire team in scrimmage and lead the team through grueling workouts for an hour, and still have the most badass makeup is beyond me.

"That's not an option," I mumble, pressing my sweaty face in her jersey even more.

"Then do go," she says in the same monotone voice, snapping the scrunchie on her wrist as she turns to face me, crossing her legs and taking my fidgety hands in hers. "Look, Sokka. I want to help, but-"

"No, that's ok," I assure her quickly. "I just don't know what to do about it. It's so much money, and I can't put that on Gran-Gran. Any money we spare is in Katara and I's college accounts."

"Well, don't be too hard on yourself," she tries to comfort me. "I'm not sure if I can go. Hell, I'm not sure if half the soccer team can go. The trip price is just, a lot this year."

"There has to be something we can do then!" I exclaim. "A fundraiser or something."

"Hm," she contemplates. "The team used to sell stuff at the cultural heritage festival, which is this weekend, but the theme for this festival..."

"Just tell me Suki I have to go on this trip-"

"It's Asian heritage," she tells me, and I have to nod. Suki herself is Japanese, and Nation High, as Katara would put it, is known for its 'diversity.' Probably half the soccer team is Asian of some sort, so this should be great.