The Concert

*Josh's POV*

It's been five days now. I'm not sure how we will be able to pull off this concert. Tyler is crazy for thinking we could do it. In ten minutes we will be on stage in front of thousands of people attempting to perform while Katt sits in that damn hospital bed. Five days. Five days and she still hasn't woken up. Five fucking days. This is hard on me too. But Tyler, he's shown a whole new world of hurt. I've never seen anyone as mentally destroyed as him. The nonstop crying. Not eating. He blames himself.

Here I am standing next to the stage, while Ty is off in a whole other section of the stadium, seconds away from being forced onto a stage being yelled at by screaming fans.

Here he is. The man of the hour. His face was still somewhat red with tears sliding down. He signaled me to walk out toward him. The moment I stepped onto the cold black stage the audience erupted in cheering.

"Guys, we have some things we need to say. It needs to quiet in here for a minute. Okay?" Tyler asked, and they all answered in a unison of perfect silence. No talking. None.

I offered to talk for him, but Tyler insisted on speaking. "See, we have a life behind these curtains. One away from music. One that consists of things that have made our life seem perfect, and some that have completely destroyed our minds. What you guys don't know, I have a girlfriend," The crowd starting speaking all at once, "We have been together for almost a year now." He started tearing up.

I took the mic from Tyler and started talking. "This past week," The audience continued roaring, "Guys. Seriously? We're trying to talk to you, could you at least have the goddamn respect to be quiet and fucking listen? What I was saying was, this past week, Tyler's girlfriend Katt, who has also been one of my best friends for years, wound up in the hospital. It's been five days, and she still has not woken up. I don't want to seem negative, but things aren't looking so well." Tyler joined in on the next few words.

"We would like to dedicate this concert to Katt Bradshaw." The crowd awed and with that, Tyler started playing his piano.

-----

It was about the end of the concert. We said our thanks to the audience, and walked off stage. I turned to see Tyler run back out. "Wait!" He yelled.

I followed him far behind onto the stage.

"There is one song we didn't perform. One song that has always been one of Katt's favorite."

Tyler looked at me and gestured me to sit down at my drums. Somehow I knew exactly what song he was talking about.

"This is for you Katt." I grabbed my drum sticks and looked into the sea of faces, all of their attention being on us. I started the beat and the song lyrics began pouring out of Tyler's mouth.

•Nobody thinks what I think,
Nobody dreams when they blink
Think things on the brink of blasphemy
I'm my own shrink
Think things are after me, my catastrophe
I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means
Because a kitchen sink to you
Is not a kitchen sink to me, OK friend?
Are you searching for purpose?
Then write something, yeah it might be worthless
Then paint something then, it might be wordless
Pointless curses, nonsense verses
You'll see purpose start to surface
No one else is dealing with your demons
Meaning maybe defeating them
Could be the beginning of your meaning, friend•

I had never seen Tyler like this. Every word that slipped from his lips had more emotion than I've ever heard from him. He started crying and couldn't finish the song. Everything was happening so fast. The crowd jumping, Tyler wiping his tears then trying to spit out more words, our manager gesturing for me. Manager? Wait, what? I ran off the stage. Normally, I would have just stayed if he wanted me. But something didn't look right. His face, pale, like the life had been sucked right from him.

"What, Tony?"

He whispered something in my ear. I immediately turned around and booked it back on the stage. I ran right up to Tyler at the microphone and the entire stadium fell silent. I leaned over and whispered what Tony had told me into Tyler's ear. He smiled. For the first time in weeks, he smiled.

Tyler put the mic back in its post and spoke softly, "That is the end of the concert. Um, thank you all for coming and erm, sorry it's so sudden but we need to go. Erm, I'll tweet something to you guys, okay?" He was obviously distressed. Laughing through his words and trembling. He was laughing. Laughing at a time like this. He wasn't even making sense. We turned and slowly walked off the stage, the audience roaring, the curtain closing. If only we knew what was in store for us.

*Tyler's POV*
Stepping out of the limo in the front of the hospital, my gut clenched. As I walked into her room, my heart sank. I couldn't handle it. I fell to the ground. The bed was made neatly. Her items piled up on the plush blanket. Her laptop was still on. All I heard was 'Screen' playing silently. The last thing I remember was Josh grabbing me and pulling me into his lap as he sat next to me.

•We're broken, we're broken, we're broken, we're broken people, we're broken people, we're broken, we're broken, we're broken, we're broken peop.....•