Seeing Red

Seeing Red by uschibear

Congratulations for wining the Grinding Ground Writing Contest.

Jax stared at himself in the mirror. 

Why red?

And why had he promised his sister she could chose any color if she finished the 5 k run?

His normally black hair, which he grew out to the middle of his back every three years, was red.  And not a normal red dye job either.  It was brilliant crimson, almost to neon in brightness.  It stood out like a spotlight on a moonless night. 

Jaynee stood just outside the door giggling.  She'd shed her prosthetic leg somewhere in the house.  She didn't like wearing it unless she didn't have a choice and hopped around on one leg every where she went.  Even the stairs didn't give her any trouble anymore.

Brilliant crimson like a cardinal, only a little more orange to make it a beacon for every set of eyes in school.  He turned to scowl at Jaynee and her totally normal black braids.

"Jax, it looks great.  You'll have to get used to it.  At least for a couple months or so."

"I'm not cutting it until next summer Jaynee."

"It's okay, it'll fade out over the next while.  It isn't permanent."

"Will it be gone for prom?"  He kicked himself, he sounded like a ninny.

"Of course.  And thank you for helping me to see I can still run.  The accident wasn't the end of the world.  I don't even care if I get a better leg for everyday as long as we can afford the racing one."

"There's enough in the settlement to cover both, so don't worry about it.  You know you almost beat me, and I've got two good legs.  It least I thought I did."

Jax looked at his twin and smiled.  It had always been this way between them.  Until their parents had been killed and Jaynee had lost her leg after a drunk semi driver had run into them head on.  He should have been with them, but he'd stayed over at Russel's.  He still couldn't look at an Xbox.  What was so important about the newest version of Halo?

"One thing's for sure, I'm not going to bet against you on a race ever again.  If you keep this up, you're going to qualify for the Paralympics."  Jax went over and hugged her.  "I'm so proud of you."

"I miss mom and dad," her grey eyes darkened.

"I'd go crazy if I thought they were gone like they never existed.  I miss them too Jaynee.  Let's see if Grams will let us take the car.  Once we get to the cemetery, you can practice on the drive up to visit them," Jax told her.

"Are you really going to teach me how to drive?"  Jaynee still was sure she should even try.

"Come on, you lost your left leg.  The car is an automatic, you'll be fine."  Jax took one more look at his hair, shaking it down around his long narrow face. 

"You should braid it like you always do."

He reached for a brush.  "Nope.  Just an elastic, I'll pull it into a ponytail at the back of my neck.  Let see how many of our friends notice if I put my ball cap on."