20

When they took Dylan away it was a while before the two guards came back. While they were gone I tried to get through Isabelle but she was in too deep.
"Isabelle, listen to me." I shake her shoulders trying to snap her back into reality, "Things here are not what they seem. We have to get out of here!"
"They'll help us. There's so much stuff we have yet to find but with them we'll achieve something more. Aren't you happy, Allie?"
Her eyes are glazed over with the color of milk. I shake her shoulders harder but it seems to do nothing.
"Snap out of it!" I yell in her face.
"What's going on here?" Adam, one of the guards, was back.
His dark brown eyes glare at me suspiciously. I take my hands-off Isabelle's shoulders and straighten my shoulders.
"Nothing that concerns you."
He looks at Isabelle and then me. "I think that this concerns me."
I cross my arms over my chest. "Why would you think that?"
"Oh, it's just a hunch. Now tell me what was going on here." He nods towards Isabelle.
"What did you do to her?"
"Told her the truth, of course."
"Well, I think you told her the wrong truth."
"I don't think so. In fact, you're about to find out what kind of truth we told her."
He turns around and signals for something. Turns out he was signaling to two guards. I start backing away quickly as they move closer.
"Keep away from me," I warn them.
They hesitate for a second. "Don't worry about her."
They both lunge for me and I jump to the side just as the first one is about to grab me. I'm not so lucky with the second one. He grazes my arm and catches his fingers on the fabric. I feel his fingers curl around my arm. My eyes go wide with panic and I start to move my arm like crazy.
"Get your nasty fingers off me!"
My arm is moving like a wild snake as I try to shake the guy's hand off my arm. His grip doesn't loosen which makes me even more annoyed. Who does this guy think he is? Get your nasty fingers off my arm! This is my favorite shirt, so if you even put a tiny rip in the fabric we are going to have a fight. Yep, there goes the fabric! My shirt screams when the guy's nasty fingers rip a hole in the fabric. Oh! It is about to go down!
"Augh!" I scream at the guy, forcing all my emotions into the scream.
The whole building shakes with the scream. Walls start to crack open and the floors open their mouths to swallow us whole. The air around my body begins to simmer with heat and the guy screams as the flesh on his hand becomes covered with boils. His eyes are as wide as golf balls. The pain doesn't reach his mind until one of his buddy's yell at him.
"Get your bloody hand off her you stupid!"
With those words the guy jerks his hand away but it's already too late. The hand is the size of a tomato and smells sickeningly like rotting flesh. Wonder why? Oh, it might be that I just might have burnt his hand to a crisp. Oops!
"She's like the sun!" one of the guys yell.
I laugh at the thought of what I must look like right now. I bring my hand up to my eyes. It doesn't look that impressive unless you've never seen someone glow with fire. My whole body seems to be engulfed in flames. I look over at the guards and see that they're cowering close to the cracked walls trying to avoid either being burned alive or swallowed up by the floor. At least the building has stopped trembling like a coward for now. Isabelle is just standing near a wide crack in the floor still dazed. Her eyes aren't milky white anymore but she still looks like a zombie.
David is the only one that doesn't seem scared or dazed one bit. He points at me and yells to the guards, "Get her now!"
They both shake their heads vigorously.
David sighs and dumps his head into the palm of his giant hand. Wow, he must be rethinking his choices. At least that's what I would be thinking right about now. He lifts his head out of his hand.
"Sometimes you got to do things yourself."
With that he takes a giant leap over the hole that he was standing by.
"I wouldn't do that," I warn him.
He doesn't seem to take into mind of what I just said. Instead he just approaches me cautiously.
"Dude, I seriously think you should stay away from me!" I yell loudly at him.
He still doesn't seem to take what I just said into his little mind. What the heck does this guy think he is doing? Does he want to be burnt to a crisp? He's still inching closer like an idol. Goodness! These people really need to get teachers here because these doctors aren't doing no good, obviously.
"I said get back!" I push emotions that were building up inside me out of my body.
The force of my emotions and the heat of my body turns half of his face into a bowl of boils and splotchy skin. Yikes! Sorry dude, but I told you to stay away. He roars out in pain, bringing his hands up to his face.
I reach out a hand, "Uh, sir, I wouldn't do that if I were you," I watch as his eyes get real big and he roars out with more pain, "Never mind, you already did it."
I pucker my lips. Yeah, that must have hurt. I tried to tell him, did he listen to me? No, he did not.
He narrows his eyes at me and lifts a bony finger at me. "You little pest," he says the word pest as if I'm a bug that won't stop buzzing in his ear, "You're going to pay for that!"
I point one of my bony fingers at him, "Now I tried to warn you! So, don't go blaming me for your idiocy."
This only seems to annoy him some more. He growls at me and when I say growl I mean he literally growled at me like a dog.
"This is the end of your kind bothering me."
I look at him in shock. "What? We haven't done anything to you. As far as I remember I have built roads for you all. Without me there wouldn't be any roads for your puny little cars to drive on."
He doesn't seem to hear me instead he's digging inside of his pockets for something.
"Here it is," he pulls out a thin black stick, "You see Alessandra things here are not what you may think it is. Actually, it's a lot more and you're about to find out that without our help all you are and all you will ever be is a tiny little brat in the world who thinks they're better than us."
His thumb pushes something on the stick. A piercing pain starts in the back of my left ear and travels down the left side of my spine causing my knees to buckle. The floor rushes into view as I go down like a bowling pin. The pain is like the time you touch a hot stove with your hand except the stove is turned all the way up and your hand is stuck on the stove causing tears to stream down your face. It's that kind of pain that makes me want to be a normal kid instead of a freak.
Blurry visions are filling my eyes and my face is scrunched in a distorting expression of intense pain. The fire around my body sinks down to a faint orange glow. What's worse is that I'm stuck in a fetal position with my muscles squeezed tight. The knuckles on my hands are white as my grip tightens around my ears. If this is what torture feels like than let me die already.
"Augh!" I scream out in pain. I expect another wave and tremble of power to sweep through the building but nothing happens.
A blurry image of David fills my vision. Which is better than a clear image of David. Trust me. The thin black stick is shifting back and forth between his bony hands. That cursed thing! I wish it would go find itself in the depths of the ocean.
"Make it stop!" I beg him. Well, I wouldn't say I begged him. It was more like me demanding him to make it stop.
He makes a scrunched-up face at me. "Now, why would I do that?"
I yell at him through clenched teeth, "I am going to kill you!"
With two fingers he signals for the guards who are recovering from their shock. They snakingly get up from their fetal positions. Their legs are shaking like crazy.
"Don't worry," he looks at me with a grin on his face, "she shouldn't be hurting you anymore."
They're still a little hesitate on coming towards me but at least they aren't cowering in the corner like babies. With slow steps the guard with the stinking flesh approaches me with his hand cradled against his chest and his eyes as huge as golf balls. I would burn the rest of him to a crisp if there wasn't an annoying ringing in my left ear.
"Stay away from me," I warn him through clenched teeth.
He doesn't listen to me this time. Instead his hands reach for me and that's the last thing I see before the darkness swallows me whole.