Couldn't Protect You

This wasn't supposed to happen.

It was supposed to be a routine patrol.

But, of fucking course, there was a villain. A strong one.

Why wouldn't there be? They're UA students after all, their class is cursed to always run into villains.

That's how Eijirou and Denki ended up fighting a villain in the middle of the street.

They were just supposed to be patrolling. Eijirou went back to Fatgum's agency for another round of work studies in 3rd-year. Denki decided to join Fatgum's agency too. He fits in well, working under a loud, friendly hero. That, and he wanted to work with his boyfriend. He was worried about him considering the events of their 1st-year summer break and Eijirou's first work-study. He knew Eijirou would put himself in danger again. He's just that selfless of a hero. Denki didn't want to hold him back, he just wanted to watch over him and help him. Joining Fat's agency seemed like the best way to go about it.

Today was supposed to be a routine patrol in a usually calm neighborhood while Denki eased into the work-study, he had only been taken on a week before, but they saw this shitbag trying to rob a convenience store. It seemed like it would be easy to resolve. It was just an exhausted-looking man wearing an oversized hoodie and holding a gun. Eijirou was able to deflect his bullets with his hardening and they easily got the gun away from him.

But when the villain realized he was cornered, he let his true strength show.

It was two against one but they were still very outmatched when it came to offensive power and speed. The villain could move fast enough that Eijirou couldn't land a hit and Denki's pointer shooter was rendered useless. Denki couldn't put out an indiscriminate shock either. Eijirou was right next to him and there were still civilians in the area. It was too risky.

The villain had some sort of teleportation quirk. He clearly couldn't go very far with it, if he could he would've run for it by now. He was able to use it just enough to evade all of the boys' attacks.

But that wasn't the worst of it. This guy obviously worked out. His hits landed hard and out of nowhere.

Eijirou could handle it. He could harden for defense. But Denki was completely vulnerable. He could handle a few hits like this with no issues, but these were constant. Every few seconds he felt another punch. All he could do was try to shield himself.

They had to think. Quick.

As dumb as Denki can be sometimes, he can still come up with a good strategy in a pinch. He didn't have to use a powerful attack. He didn't need to hit the villain, the villain needed to hit him.

He covered his body in electricity, not fully discharging it. He was going to have to hold back to avoid killing the guy, though that wasn't difficult. He was getting weak from the never-ending assault. How he hadn't been knocked down yet was a mystery to him. He just hoped his plan would work, and that he would find a good balance of powerful but non-lethal. His quirk is much harder to control under circumstances like this.

Eijirou didn't see what Denki was doing. If he did, he would've tried to stop him. Letting himself get hurt is not a strategy that Eijirou would condone. But he was too busy trying to form his own strategy to notice. He was trying to detect a pattern in the villain's movement. If he could pinpoint his next location, maybe he could land a hit of his own. He may not have noticed Denki sparking up, but he could see the injury. He could see how close he was to collapsing. He couldn't shield him, the villain was coming in at varying angles. It was impossible to protect Denki from this guy. He just had to knock him out as quickly as possible. That was the only way he could protect his boyfriend.