PROLOGUE

* * *

When you try your best but you don't succeed

When you get what you want but not what you need

When you feel so tired but you can't sleep

Stuck in reverse

When the tears come streaming down your face

'Cause you lose something you can't replace

When you love someone but it goes to waste

What could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

And I will try to fix you.

- Fix you, Coldplay.

* * *

ABANDONED COTTAGE - MISSOULA, MONTANA - 23.Dec.1988

The mobile above the crib spun slightly as the breeze swept in through the window bringing the dangling plastic elephant closer to the baby's hands. Her mother, sitting in a rocking chair with a book in hand at the corner of the room, giggled as the child tugged on the string trying to bring it closer. Shaking her head slightly, the mother went back to reading her book.

It seemed like hours had passed, but the baby was still awake, her interest in the elephant unwavering. By now she had grabbed the toy tightly in her fist and was squeezing it as if to test her strength. Her mother was still on the chair with her head buried in the book but her ears, sharp as ever, were alert to any movement in the house.

And then, as if to prove a point, there was a jingle of keys as someone tried to open the doors downstairs and the mother jumped up from the seat and grabbed the Glock from her boot in anticipation. Everything was quiet for a moment, and she held her breath, waiting for the telltale sound of footsteps coming towards the door.

Complete silence. No footsteps.

Then suddenly, a whispered break the door open and the sound of shuffling before...

BANG!

The door was on the ground and the baby let out a loud cry signalling her displeasure at the loud noise. Six men in tactical gear moved into the room, guns at the ready, quickly checking the area for any threats before taking their places at the door in a defensive position. The clicking of heels was heard as a woman walked in, dressed immaculately in a pinstriped blazer and skirt, with a stoic but determined look on her face. "Agent Martin, you can put the gun down."

Agent Martin, who had remained still with her gun pointed at the intruders, sighed before pushing the gun back into her boot. "Agent Carter. I thought you had retired." Martin turned back to the crib to make sure that the baby was alright. Her hand was still in a fist but the elephant was no longer hanging from the mobile. "What brings you here? It surely cannot be good news... you have strike team delta with you."

Carter moved towards the crib as well and looked in. The body of the elephant was on the mattress close to the baby's thigh and the head was in her fist, hidden from sight. "I'm here on a favour. And no it isn't good news." She reached into the crib and gently tried to loosen the fist. "Strong little babe, isn't she?" She gave Martin a smile and turned back to face the strike team delta. "Secure the house. No corner should be unprotected."

"Agent Carter, as much as I like visits from the director, what's with the extra security?"

"We have received an anonymous tip that the KGB are planning a kidnapping." She motioned out the door and down the stairs.