🥀Chapter 1 - The Slums🥀

If you asked me if I ever wanted to live here, I'd tell you hell no. But here I am. Now, it isn't my mom's fault. She just happened to be born here. It's the government's fault. He only attends to the rich, which no one likes down here. We are separated from the rich. The rich only helps us with food, but they don't give us much food as it is.

Their efforts are pathetic, if you ask me. Down right dumb, because they barely do anything. I still have to risk my life stealing... Well, everyone does that. But I want to live in a society where I can work for money and it's not so hard getting it, but the government won't give us money, because the rich have it. So much for helping...

Well, we did ask for more money printed, but they'd "lose their value". At this point, no one gives a shit how much it's worth, money is money. We somehow got a school in the slums. But you don't learn much. The teacher kind of sucks, but I still go to school anyway. Grades got by time of day, not everyone goes at the same time. Gives some of us a chance to get more sleep, because we're out finding money all day.

My mom does work hard to get money. It's dangerous down here, no doubt. People will sometimes break in and see what they could get. We haven't had one of those in a while, thank god. In the end, they don't get anything, because well, we don't have much of value. You have to go deeper into the slums to find that, but people are stupid.

We also somehow have a playground for the children, but it's pretty broken down. You still see children there, but not many.

Right now, I'm making bread, because somehow I found ingredients for it... At least we'll have something for a couple days if we eat it sparingly. If you want to know my appearance, I have long brown hair and a little wavy pulled up into a bun, black tattered baggy shirt, worn blue sneakers, and threadbare white sweatpants that have stains all over them. I'm Ida and I'm 16 years old. I'm 5'2 and that's pretty short in this place.

"Ida, I have the fire ready for the bread. Are you almost done?" My mom asked. Her voice was hoarse.
"Yes mom," I said while rolling the dough. I place the dough in the pan and put it above the fire.
"Can you go find some eggs?" She asked.
"But I'll have to steal from the cooper down the alleyway..." I said.
"Ah... That place... I'll be back. Let me get something," She said and walked into our shared bedroom.

She came out with a sharp pointy object. It was a knife.
"Use this incase someone tries to jump you," She said, handing me the knife.
"Uh... Thank you," I said and slowly walked to the outside. We didn't have a door. How unfortunate. We live in an upstairs apartment though. We have to climb down a ladder, which is a pain in the ass. You can lift it up and down. If someone is chasing you, you can just lift it up and they can't catch you.

Sometimes we forget to put it up at night and then boom. Brake in. I walked through the crowds of people. Nothing to pick pocket today, I guess. Then, I stumbled across the famous alleyway. I had the knife in hand, ready to stab some idiot. I slowly walked down the alley till I found a chicken coop. No one was there. I opened the door and went to the hen house.

Mom didn't say how many eggs she wanted, but I grabbed some, so I didn't feel so cruel. Then, I turned around to see an angry man.
"So, what's going on here, little girl?" He asked. He grabbed my wrist and pinned me against the wall. Oh yeah, chicken guy is known for being a pedophile. He likes little girls. The younger, the better, I guess. I'm not so young anymore, but still... it's bad.

"I need eggs..." I answered.
"I'll let you have them if you give it to me," He said with a creepy grin.
"No, I'm good," I said.
"C'mon, don't you wanna have some fun?" He asked.
"No, not really," I answered. I took the time to kick him in the nuts and ran for my life.
"Hey, where ya goin'?!" Chicken guy yelled and he started running after me. Too bad I didn't get the eggs... My mom put me in a dangerous position!