Chapter One

Day One

Hazel Schuyler

Napasandal ako sa upuan ko habang nakapikit. Taylor Swift's voice filled my ears, giving me a serene ride unto  world of music.

It was scientifically proven that listening to music releases serotonin, the chemical produced by our brain when we are happy. Music had always been my comfort zone, my only escape from reality. Simply put, it calms me.

The serenity was ruined when I felt someone staring at me. Specifically, someone named Luther Dalton Santiago.

I snapped my eyes open at his direction. Nakatayo sya sa likod ng teacher's desk, nakahalukipkip at nakatitig sa akin. He doesn't appear embarrassed to be caught staring.

"I don't like the way he stares at you," a voice whispered on my left ear.

Napalingon ako. A boy about 19 sat beside me, frowning at Luther whose eyes were still on me. Puckering his small, heart-shaped, cherry lips, he turned his gaze at me. "May gusto 'yang senior na 'yan sa'yo," he accused.

I sighed, leaning away from the sudden closeness he made when he leaned in to whisper to me because it is making me feel things I shouldn't feel. My heart isn't supposed to go beating crazy with my own bestfriend.

Unfortunately, I just can't control my feelings with Sebastien Hugo Montreal.

Instead, sumulyap ako sa topic namin. Luther Dalton isn't looking at me anymore, but had his eyes on some paper on the desk with his thick, dark brows furrowed. The only part of him moving was his cold and calculating gray eyes.

Luther Dalton is a freshman on Adleford University. He's first year on college while me and Sebastien were on grade 11, graduating this year.

He's only here with us today as the "substitute teacher".

"Those are just rumors, Sebastien," mahina kong sagot sa tanong niya kanina. He merely snorted at me and continued scowling at our teacher.

"They were rumors until he confirmed it minutes ago, Hazel," mariin niyang sabi, umiigting ang bagang. I was about to talk back when a lilac perfume engulfed my senses as someone stole a kiss on my cheek. Nilingon ko ang tampalasan.

"Mackenzie!" I exclaimed as I wiped the stain of her peach lipstick on my cheek which made her giggle.

Mackenzie Gwendolyn Montreal is just-There are no other words to describe her-perfect. With her chinky, cobalt blue eyes and cute dimpled smile, it was no wonder why she's the hottest in our batch. She also happened to be Sebastien's cousin.

"Anong pinag-uusapan nyo, Bastien?" umakbay siya sa 'kin and her soft, slender arm smells so much like lilac it was hard to stop myself from sniffing all of it. Sumulyap siya kay Sebastien, na nakatitig kay Mackenzie na tila nagiisip ng isasagot.

"Nothing. You go back to your seat, Gwen," malamig na tugon ni Sebastien sa kanya.

Sebastien has always been cold to Mackenzie for an unknown reason. Siya lang ang lalaking nakakatanggi kay Mackenzie. But then, Sebastien isn't just any other guy. He's her cousin.

Napalabi na lang si Mackenzie ngunit hindi sumunod sa utos ng pinsan. Instead, she sat on an empty chair beside me and took out her peach lipstick-which must have cost much more than a month or two of my allowance-from her designer's hand bag. She was retouching her lipstick smudged from the kiss she gave when she shrieked that made half the class jump.

"Oh, god," she exclaimed. "I totally forgot! Guys," she stood up and grabbed everyone's attention (It's a piece of cake if you're someone named Mackenzie Gwendolyn Montreal). Even Luther Dalton raised his head to listen on what she's going to say.

"Today, March 25th is the due of your forms for the camp," she flashed a dimpled smile that made the boys' swoon.

"So, please, don't forget to pass it to me before the end of the day, as your class secretary." She beamed.

A babble of talk broke out as she sat back on the chair. Napailing na lang ako.

Mackenzie was talking about the after-school-camp they have invented. As Mackenzie arranged the whole affair, and she's going, all the boys agreed to go, too. Sebastien's coming because he's been forced by his dad to accompany Mackenzie. The girls are coming because they don't wanna feel left out.

Well, as I don't have a reason, I'm not going to that camp, I thought dryly, staring at the screen of my phone.

"Mack," my eyes raised automatically when I heard Luther Dalton's voice, and for once, I caught him staring at another girl.

Napatayo si Mackenzie, napahalukipkip sa dibdib ang forms ng a-attend sa camp. She sashayed her way to our substitute teacher. Naningkit ang mata ko ng may i-abot na bondpaper si Luther Dalton kay Mackenzie, the paper he was reading a while ago. Hindi nakatakas sa akin ng isama ni Mackenzie ang papel na iniabot ni Luther Dalton sa kanya sa mga forms ng dadalo sa camping.

Mackenzie flashed a smile on his direction, which, to my utter surprise, he ignored completely. Instead, he shifted his eyes to mine, catching me staring at him for the first time with his cold, grey ones.

"ARE YOU coming with us?"

Umiling ako sa nag-aantay na Sebastien. Disappointment flashed on his eyes, before smiling a bit. "Okay. See you, then," he said before sauntering with Mackenzie towards their Limousine.

Hinintay ko munang maka-alis sa paningin ko ang sasakyan nila bago ko napagpasyahang mag-lakad na lang papuntang ospital.

"Hey, Hazel! Wait up!"

I looked around, only to see a tall, short-haired girl dragging a metal baseball bat, bolting towards me. She skidded into a halt in front of me. Clutching a stitch on her side, she raised a hand to motion wait while trying to catch her breath.

Pristine Claire Delfin and I simply cannot be counted as "close" even though we are both in the same softball team since I got in a year ago. Ang tanging instances na nakakausap ko sya ay tuwing magpapatawag ng meeting ang captain, which takes place about twice or thrice a year, so her presence is not quiet welcome.

"What is it?" I asked once she regained her breath, that only took a few seconds, which isn't surprising; she is an athlete, after all.

"Sabi ni Cap, baka daw magpatawag ng practice this week, next week, or next next week,"she said. "So always be ready."

I nodded. "Can I go now? I really need to-"

"Of course! Bye, see you!"