.forty-seven.

~one year later~

As much as I despise the pollution, masses of crowds everywhere, and everyone around you somehow having the best fashion sense to make you feel self-conscious and insecure, I've missed Korea. I've missed the efficiency, the positivity, the entire vibe. I missed the country I knew was home. 

I can't help the smile that grows on my face as I walk from the hotel to a nearby bakery Jay had suggested we meet at. With no public ties holding me down anymore, I was free to meet with him one-on-one. Rumours may surface, but they would die soon, and as long as both of us knew our status in our friendship, we would be fine. 

Within five minutes, I've reached the bakery. Jay is standing in front, waiting for me while on his phone. He looks the same with the trendy hairstyle many Korean males seemed to fancy, his leaner physique due to his obsession with working out, but also his rounder face with full cheeks, contrasting his built body. 

"Jay!" I exclaim excitedly from seeing him for the first time in almost two years. 

Jay looks up from his phone and grins. "Autumn." 

We both lean in for a quick hug before walking into the bakery. Another thing I was slowly getting better at was physical contact with men. All the past tragedies that had affected my life were slowly starting to remain in their box and not damage my efforts to fully live in the present. 

"How have you been?" Jay asks as we pick up baskets and tongs. 

I immediately reach for the Korean streusel bread I had been craving my entire time away in America. "I've been great," I reply with a smile. 

"You look great. Not exactly prettier, just...happier." 

I nod. "Right, because I've always been pretty." 

Jay laughs. "Your personality hasn't changed. Sadly." 

I punch his arm and we scramble around the bakery to gather breads and pastries. "Are you seeing anyone yet? I think it's about time you start annoying someone else other than me." 

When Jay doesn't respond, I look up to spot him standing still, a hand over his heart. "Autumn. Is this your way of saying you'll finally hook me up with that American friend of yours?" 

I furrow my brow. "Jay, what-" 

"Yes," he sighs dramatically, fanning his face. "Finally." I punch his arm again and he winces. "Why do you have to be so strong?" 

I just glare up at him. "Jay, I'm going to castrate you." 

Jay's eyes widen. "I find it unfair how you're only violent towards me and act all innocent in front of anyone else." 

At that, I change my expression, a smile forming on my lips, and blink up at Jay through my lashes. "You were saying?" 

He just rolls his eyes and walks away. After paying for the treats, we take a seat at a small table. "So this is it, right? You're not going back to America? You aren't going to leave me again?" 

I tilt my head at Jay. "You make me sound like I broke your heart while we were in a relationship." 

Jay pouts and crosses his arms. "You did break my heart. There was no one to humble my large ego while you were gone." 

I laugh and bite into my coffee bread, holding in a moan when the flavors reach my taste buds. "Korean bakeries," I shake my head while looking down at the bread, "I've missed them so much." I return my gaze back up at Jay who is also lost in his own world of sweet carbs. "Yeah, I'm back for good. The time away in America was everything I needed, but Korea is my home. I plan to be here for awhile."