Chapter V - Letters from the Battlefield

10th September 1942

Pilot Officer Ianto Jones (he'd learnt early on that he wasn't meant to call himself a Private) sat down in what he called a bed and took a paper out of the stack that the RAF had given them to write letters home. He wrote weekly letters home, each week to a different member of his family and it was Sophia's turn to receive one; her first letter from the battlefield. 

" To my dearest Sophia,

Today would have marked two years since we first met on the platform at Newport train station. Since then I've watched you grow into the girl that I would give up everything for. I can't say I haven't missed you these past three weeks. I miss your laugh, your smile and even the way you used to help me do the books at the shop! 

So far, my squadron hasn't seen some major action, so Captain Harkness has been teaching us how to fly properly, since we didn't get the training before we were conscripted, and he takes us all up in the air individually for an hour every day and in the spare time, we are trained by Squadron Leader Williams to read maps and by Flight Lieutenant MacDonald to read up on the mechanics behind aviation. The RAF could have at least given us the mechanics reading when we were still in Newport! 

I have to admit, I still feel like a fish out of water here, since I'm the youngest of all the group. Most boys from Newport, so I've heard from Captain Harkness, have either been sent to the front or those who don't have the physical strength but still have the necessary skills, as medics. Captain Harkness has been taking care of me well, as he shares his quarters with the other 3 pilot officers and often asks for you. I've caught him staring at our locket multiple times and all the other boys call me a sissy for wearing "girl's jewellery" as they call it. The food isn't great, but then again, we're on stricter rations and no one can match up to mam's cooking (well, maybe you and Rhiannon). 

Sophia, I hope you are all well in Newport and that mam isn't crying too much. I wish I could come home soon, hopefully still in one piece. Please give my love to my family (and yourself as well) and please write back. It gives me great joy to read what's going on back home and I keep all of your letters in a metal box that Captain Harkness gave me. 

With love, 

Ianto." 

After he finished writing, Ianto went out of this quarters and gave the letter to the messenger that usually sends their letters home. As soon as he arrived back, he bid Captain Harkness and the other officers goodnight and he turned out his candle. 

***

17th September 1942

The girl who delivered the post at the Jones residence had a letter addressed to Sophia for the first time since the Londoner came to live in Newport. She automatically knew who it was from, as she ran to her and Rhiannon's bedroom to read it. She was relieved to hear Ianto was doing well and she pulled out a sheet of paper to write her reply.

"Dear Cariad, 

You have no idea the joy you've given me when I read that you're being looked after. Everyone is doing well here in Newport and although she's not crying, your Mam and Tad still scour the papers everyday to see if something happened in your squadron. Rhiannon tries to reassure them, but they are worried. The fact that you've said that you haven't seen major action has reassured them a bit. 

The routine has pretty much remained the same since you've been gone. I've taken over the financial books at the shop and Glenda and Rhiannon alternate between themselves for sewing. I go to the woods daily with your black coat after dark. It still smells of you and it helps me feel closer to you. Knowing that you are seeing the same stars I am seeing helps.