My Friend

"It looks so good!"

I wiped the sweat from my brow and took a step back next to Rin to admire my work. The newest building of the school was finally finished- another single-floor dorm of about 20 rooms. Each had a bed, a wall-desk, a bedside table, and a window with an overhang to protect from rain. All that's left is to decorate the hallway wall with some kind of mural, like I'd done with the others, by bending the smallest earth particles like I do with my legs. But I'd decorate tomorrow. Right now I'm tired from a long day of hard work. The old wounds of my past started aching, reminding me of a more troubling time.

The sounds of laughing and chattering came from nearby. Rin and I walked together around the new building towards a center courtyard. A flowing fountain, raised seating, intricate stonework, and short trees and blooming flowers surrounding the area greeted us. The low-hanging sun lit up the figures of Tai Li playing with a group of children in the fountain, swimming and splashing around. Other members of the Kiyoshi warriors stood scattered about the courtyard. Suki taught another small group of kids some basic fighting techniques. Through a large window we could see Rin's parents working on tonight's dinner in the kitchens. The smell wafted over us- wonderful curries, sautéed fruits, mixed vegetables, heaping piles of white rice all called my name, and sure enough the children and the warriors followed the scent inside. Once the kids had all cleared from around Tai Li, she cartwheeled her way to us and landed with a backflip next to me. "Hey!" she exclaimed as she hugged me tight, her braid swinging behind her back. I hugged her in return, though not nearly as tight. "The new dorms look great!" She gestured to the building I'd just finished with a bright smile. "I bet the kids are gonna love them."

Rin rested an arm around Tai Li's waist and she smiled her big squinted grin at him in return. Whatever feelings he'd had for me over the past three years since the war ended had dissipated. He and Tai Li had begun dating maybe a year after Zuko's coronation. I have to say, they complimented each other well. She was bubbly and charismatic and talkative, just like him, and she made him do gymnastics with her too. They worked great together, and I was happy for them.

I watched them head into the dining hall and heaved a big sigh. Wished that Zuko's arm was around me like that. Currently he was out at the temple of the Sun Warriors with the Avatar, discussing how to reintroduce dragons into the world. I couldn't go with him because the school needed more dorm rooms for the orphans piling in.

After the war and my near-death experience, I was determined to turn the remnants of my town into an orphanage for kids left alone as a result of the war, as well as a school for any child interested. But walking back through those ruins three years ago, my resolve faltered.

Zuko kept pace next to me while I meandered my way through the burned wooden beams littering the weathered and forgotten road. The several guards and workers with us lingered behind at the entrance of the town to give us some space. Ash glided over the scorched earth in the whispering wind, over my scarred calves. My eyes were glued to one of the spots in the back. The landscape was flat and dry, no trees in sight with the exception of one barely clinging to life a few yards away from the outskirts of the town. Zuko followed me closely as I headed to a very particular set of remains. I recognized the fallen doorway. A memory of my mother marking my height in the wood flashed through my head.

"You're already another few centimeters taller!"